SEVENTEEN

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Predator or Prey

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Selene stood still next to Thorin who were both looking forward where the King of the Woodland Realm's throne sat high above them.

Thorin was cuff-free, however Selene was not. She still had on the elven ropes tied tightly around her wrists and ankles. The elves did not trust her one bit and she didn't trust them either.

"Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand. A quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon." Thranduil, the Elf King, turned his body to look down at the two smaller figures that had their backs turned to him. "I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary. Or something of that ilk." He curved his upper body to lean into Thorin's face, "You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule."

The two men made eye contact, never breaking it as Thranduil continued on with his speech. He went on about the Arkenstone and more gems that would be inside the mountain and Thranduil wanted it.

"I offer you my help." The elf king said, lowering his head in a curt bow.

Thorin chuckled, "I am listening."

Selene looked at him, not believing what she just heard. Was he really going to accept the elf's help? She certainly hoped not.

With a darker look on his face, Thranduil said, "I will let you go... if you but return what is mine." He was talking about the white gems that were made from pure starlight.

"A favor for a favor."

"You have my word. One king to another."

Thorin, who had walked away a short distance, kept his back turned to Thranduil. "I would not trust Thranduil... The great king... To honor his word..." He raised the volume in his voice, almost shouting it out loud as if he wanted his kin to hear him. "Should the end of all days be upon us!" He pointed his finger at the elf in anger, "You, who lack all honor! I have seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help. But you turned your back!" He spat out the words in distaste.

Selene had to take a few steps to her left to stop him from charging at Thranduil and getting them into even more trouble.

"You turned away from the suffering of my people... and the inferno that destroyed us." Thorin's voice strained mid-way, Selene could tell he was still hurt from that. She could not blame him though. His people were driven out of their home, some killed and some left behind because of Smaug, and Thranduil did nothing. Nothing to help them. She felt bad for Thorin and wished they could pummel the stupid elf in front of them, but she held that thought back when Thorin shouted something in Elvish. Another language she could not understand.

Thranduil snapped and leaped forward, almost knocking Selene over if she didn't move out of the way in time. "Do not talk to me of dragon fire. I know its wrath and ruin." The elf closed his eyes and grunted in pain, when the side of his face morphed away; an old scar appeared, dried up flesh and muscles on his face. His left eye turned milky white, which most likely meant he was blind in that eye. It was like his skin had melted from the wrath of a dragon he must have dealt with in the past. "I have faced the great serpents of the north! I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon. But he would not listen."