FOUR

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Predator or Prey

CHAPTER FOUR.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

The first thing Gandalf did after the trolls were turned into stone, was put the fire out that sat below the dwarves that were almost cooked by it. He freed Ori and Dwalin first, so they could free the rest that were stuck tied to the wooden log. Next, he went to Selene who was still laying on the ground. Gandalf helped her by grabbing onto her arm and pulled her up, as she used her legs and feet to push herself up. He obtained a small 'thank you' from her and moved onto Bilbo.

Bilbo was freed and rushed to help the dwarves stuck on the log. The dwarves were beyond happy that they were now free and got their weapons back. They chattered between each other, making sure everyone was alright. Gandalf and Thorin were talking privately on their own, not far from where the dwarves.

"Has anyone seen my chain?" Selene asked the dwarves desperately. Most of them answered 'No' but helped her look for it.

The last time the Company had seen it was when the trolls were screaming in pain, turning into stones, and Bert - the one who was holding it - threw it into the air. It landed somewhere, but no one had a clue where.

"Over here." A loud voice called out. Thorin. He reached into his pocket and in his hand, was the gold chain Selene was searching for. Selene sighed in relief, catching Thorin off guard when she wrapped her arms around his waist.

The chain was like a charm to her. It also kept her human, for her dad had given it to her mother after they wedded. And after Selene's father passed, her mother gave the gold head chain to her, to keep and cherish until she had a child of her own.

"Those two are going be very close by the time this journey ends." Selene heard the voice that belonged to Bofur, "I can feel it."

Selene reached for her chain, but Thorin stopped her. "Allow me," He dipped his head and Selene lowered herself for him to place back on her head.

"Oh, I'm sure we all know that." Came the voice that belonged to Dori.

"Follow me, everyone." Gandalf shouted, walking away right after. Thorin and Selene behind him, followed by the rest of the Company.

The walk was about eleven minutes long. The Company reached a cave where there were so many insects buzzing around. A foul smell coming from the cave, reached each and every nose of those who entered.

"Oh, what's that stench?" Nori was in front of Bilbo, plugging his nose with his thumb and index finger.

"It's a troll-hoard." Gandalf replied, not affected by the smell. "Be careful what you touch."

One by one, everyone entered the cave as they coughed and gagged at the strong smell. It smelled as if there were dozens of rotting dead bodies and feces mixed together.

Thorin and Gandalf lighted up the cave, Bofur and Bilbo found gold coins sitting at their feet. "Seems a shame just to leave it lyin' around. Anyone could take it." He said, the other dwarves digging around and opening up small chests.

Selene watched Gloin and Nori use a shovel they found to dig a hole. She switched her eyes to Bofur who was filling up the chest with the treasured goods.

"All right, come on." Bofur used his hands to hide the chest with the dirt his friend dug out.

"We're making a long term, deposit." Gloin told Dwalin, who watched them hide their chests.