TWENTY-EIGHT

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Predator or Prey

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

He was coming.

Smaug was coming.

Selene stood outside of Bard's home, standing at the top of the stairs, watching the people of LakeTown rush around their homes. Some were preparing to leave, while some gathered their families to hide somewhere safe.

She knew that their thinking would do them no good. They wouldn't be able to escape from Smaug's wrath. He was a dragon. He was fast. They'd end up dead before they could even blink.

Tauriel stood beside her, watching everyone panic as she remained calm. Though, her face showed slight fear.

"We need to get the children and the others out of here." Tauriel spoke, not looking at Selene. The two were too focused on the screaming and crying families running around.

"I need to protect these people." Selene said. She clenched her fists at her side, then craned her neck to look up. She could feel him up there. He was going to attack at any moment now, and she needed to stop him. She turned to the she-elf, "You need to get them out of here." She gestured behind her, where the dwarves and the kids huddled close to each other.

Tauriel shook her head. "I wish, but I know how fond the youngest child is toward you. She will not leave unless you're with her."

Selene knew the elf was right, but kept quiet.

"Just come with us, Selene. You don't have to protect the others... they're all leaving too." Tauriel carefully wrapped her hand around Selene's wrist, pulling her away from the crying children and their parents.

Selene, Tauriel, the children and the dwarves all piled into one boat.

Tauriel and Bofur rowed the boat, doing their best to stay calm so everyone would be safe. Tilda sat between her sister and Selene, clutching onto the latter's arm in fear when Smaug flew right above their heads.

Then, everything went downhill.

Smaug flew back to the town, his belly glowing orange, before he spewed out thick flames onto the homes and people of LakeTown.

Bloodcurdling screams and cries rang out from all around her, and Selene watched in horror as Smaug continued to burn people alive. They were children, mothers and fathers, the elderly and even a few animals whose skin melted off their bones.

Selene trembled in her seat, frightened and angered by the scene that happened in front of her. "No..." she whispered, her eyes welling up with tears. More flames came from Smaug's mouth, destroying more homes and more families in front of her. "No!" She furrowed her eyebrows, and when she blinked, her gold eyes were pitch black as her skin hardened into scales.

She jumped to her feet and leaped off the boat with a growl, landing onto the Master's boat, but not for long since she jumped right off his boat too.

"Selene!" Tilda cried out, her older sister holding her back.

"Selene!" Bofur yelled, watching her leave. Why was she leaving them?

His question was answered when he watched her run up the steps of someone's house, then climbed up onto the roof and sprung off the edge, where her body was soon replaced with a big, black dragon.