THREE

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Predator or Prey

CHAPTER THREE.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

The heavy rain had stopped and the Company finally arrived at their next rest area. Selene was still wet, not having the time to dry herself properly. She wasn't worried about catching a cold as the others were. The heat in her body from her dragon side, kept her warm enough.

Selene had an odd feeling about this area. She noticed a small house that looked like it was pulled up from the ground as she and Gloin rode side by side. She wasn't sure if they were in dangerous spot or not, since her eyes did not turn black.

Yes, black. Black like the night sky. They only turned black if she was either angered or sensed something bad (coming). Much like the previous night. Her dragon had sensed the Orcs across from where the Company camped. She even saw them because of her ability of dark and low-light vision. It had been her low-light vision that spotted them, the moon light did some work for her. She only told Gandalf what she really saw. She lied for the sake of the dwarves and the hobbit; the latter having not seen one or dealt with one yet.

Thorin guided his pony to face everyone, making Gloin and Selene stop their ponies. It created a chain reaction, the others behind them stopped too.

"We'll camp here for the night. Fíli, Kíli, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." Thorin told his nephews and got off his pony, leading it to Fíli who waited with his hand out.

The others did the same, lowering themselves off their ponies and giving them to the two young dwarves at the end.

Selene accompanied Gandalf's side after hopping off her horse and giving the reigns to Gloin, who said he would take the animal to the young ones for her.

"A farmer and his family used to live here." Gandalf said out loud, his eyes scanning over the small house. "Did you sense anything when we first arrived?" He looked at the small woman next to him.

Selene shook her head, "I didn't feel anything bad. Nor did I feel anything good, Gandalf." She examined the small ruined house with him. "But I think something ripped this house up from the ground." She touched the wood, feeling how thick it was so she automatically knew the house couldn't have been knocked over by the wind.

Gandalf nodded in agreement, "I too, feel that something or someone did something to this family." He heard Thorin approaching and rushed out, "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley."

Thorin looked annoyed when he grew closer to the wizard and the dragon-woman. "I have told you already, I will not go near that place."

Gandalf followed his movements, "Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

Selene shook her, "Oh, please no. The elves don't eat meat and I refuse to turn into a rabbit." She trailed after Gandalf.

"I do not need their advice." Thorin argued. He wordlessly agreed with Selene about the food.

Gandalf took no notice of Selene and placed a hand on his hip, giving Thorin a look. "We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us."

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls. The elves looked on and did nothing." Thorin kicked at a chunk of wood that was laying on the ground. "And you ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather. Who betrayed my father." Thorin advanced towards Gandalf, looking up at him. Anger, hurt and betrayal could be seen in his eyes.