FIVE

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Predator or Prey

CHAPTER FIVE.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Rivendell on the inside was just as beautiful as the outside.

Selene just didn't like the elves or the food they ate. She hoped this place would be safe, as Gandalf told her and Thorin earlier that she and him were being hunted. She had a clue on who could be hunting her, and reminded herself to tell Gandalf soon.

She and the dwarves waited for Gandalf - who was waiting on someone else. The two elves standing on the stairs, whispered to each other and then looked back at her and the dwarves. They did it multiple times and it irritated Selene.

Finally, a new elf emerged and gracefully went down the stairs. He greeted Gandalf with a smile, "Mithrandir!"

"Lindir!" The wizard returned the smile.

Selene watched their interaction as she stood by Dwalin, who was told by Thorin to stay sharp. She knew they did not trust the elves and neither did she. She heard the two next to her, grumble when the elf, Haldir, began speaking to Gandalf in Elvish.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf told the elf, switching back to the language he was more fluent in.

"My Lord Elrond is not here." Haldir said.

"Not here? Where is he?"

The same horn Selene heard when they escaped the orcs blared again. All heads turned to the entrance, elves riding on their horses galloped towards them. Thorin shouted something in Dwarvish, another language Selene didn't understand. She had a feeling that he translated, when he yelled out, "Close ranks!" Selene felt his rough hands grab her waist and push her into the middle where Bilbo already stood, completely lost.

The elves circled around the huddled group of dwarves, looking down on them as the dwarves sneered. They flinched as soon as their eyes met the hard gold ones of Selene. None of them were not expecting to see the dragon woman standing with the dwarves.

"Gandalf!" A black-haired elf greeted.

Selene had a feeling that would be Lord Elrond. She was correct when Gandalf greeted the elf lord back. The two conversed in Elvish, the dwarves, Selene and Bilbo not having a clue what they were talking about.

Lord Elrond hoisted himself off his horse and spoke in English this time, "Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near." He gave his sword to Haldir.

"Ah, that may have been us." Gandalf replied to Lord Elrond honestly, gesturing to the Company behind him.

At a slow pace, Thorin moved to stand in front of the elf lord; the elf meeting him halfway.

"Welcome, Thorin, son of Thráin."

"I do not believe we have met." Thorin replied coolly.

Lord Elrond squinted his eyes at the dwarf, "You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain."

Thorin remained still, staring at the elf as he spoke. "Indeed. He made no mention of you."

Both of them did not break their gazes off each other, until Lord Elrond spoke in Elvish.

"What is he sayin'? Does he offer us insult?!" Gloin pointed his axe at the elf lord in a threatening manner.

Gandalf intervened, "No, Master Gloin, he's offering you food."