Chapter 18

When Clay got back home from work, he quickly changed and decided to spend time with Nick and George. The two were on the couch playing some game on Nick's phone.

"Hey Clay!" George said happily. He had a big smile on his face while Nick looked frustrated, obviously losing.

"Hi! What are you guys doing?" Clay asked, walking up to them and seeing a game of chess, white losing really badly and black winning by a mile. "You suck, Nick."

"Yeah! And he was the one who challenged me, thinking I'm some dumb idiot who doesn't know how to play chess." George said proudly. Nick groaned and moved his king behind a rook.

"You realise that was a dumb move right?" Clay said, analysing the game and thinking about Nick might be able to win the lost game. "You could've captured his knight instead."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Nick whined as his rook got captured and he lost the game.

"Checkmate!" George cheered as Nick exited the chess app and threw his phone to the side. It landed on the edge of the couch and Clay was quick to grab it before it fell.

"I don't wanna play with you anymore." Nick grumbled with crossed arms.

"Aww, can't accept defeat?" George asked with a fake pout. "Well, if you're gonna be a baby I'll rather play with Clay."

"Me? I'm not that good either." Clay said.

"You're better than him, and you don't complain if you lose." George said, snatching Nick's phone from Clay's hands and opening the chess game again. He started a new game and let Clay move first.

"Just so you know I actually taught him how to play chess." Nick said, peeking at the game from above Clay's shoulder.

"Pfft sure you did." George said with a chuckle.

"Clay what are you doing! Move your bishop not your knight! You can easily capture his pawn!" Nick advised.

"You want him to sacrifice his bishop for a pawn? Can't you see my queen right there?" George asked. Nick looked back at the phone carefully.

"Winning has gotten into you. Stop being so rude to me." Nick pouted.

"Okay fine, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound rude." George said sincerely. Nick smiled and got up to sit next to him.

"I'll help you win against him!" Nick said, inspecting the positioning of each piece.

"Uhh I think I'll be fine without your help." George said. Nick huffed. "I'll ask if I need help, okay?"

"Check." Clay said, his expression serious. He was making this game of chess too intense. George quickly played something to protect his king and also threaten Clay's knight.

"You're taking this a little too seriously. Relax, its just a game." George said. Clay took a deep breath in and smiled up at George, nodding slightly.

The game continued for a long time, both being really good at chess. The chances were ever so slightly in George's favour but Clay still had the chance to win. Clay thought his moves through and as he was about to play something, Nick's phone rang.

Karl<3

💚Accept                ❤Decline

Nick quickly grabbed his phone with a smile on his face, accepting the call and standing up to walk away to talk to Karl.

"I kind of forgot we were playing on his phone." Clay said, making George giggle.

"Me too! I was like 'who's this Karl guy?' haha." George said.

"By the way, I would've definitely won that game." Clay said a minute later.

"Oh no no, maybe in your dreams but you can't win from me. Chess is my game." George said proudly.

"Confident much? I bet I can win from you." Clay said with an egoistic smirk. 

"Eh. Keep dreaming." George muttered with a smile. He crossed his arms and leaned against Clay. "I've used my brain too much today. I'm tired."

"You can go to sleep after dinner. What even is the tim- 6 p.m.??! How long have we been playing?" Clay hurriedly stood up, making his way to the kitchen to make dinner. He got too busy with chess that he forgot about dinner.

He settled on some lemon rice soup, quickly getting to work and preparing dinner. He served it into three bowls, putting them on a tray before feeding Patches. The cat had been napping near her food bowl the whole day.

He poured some cat food for Patches who started eating, being rather picky that day. She ended up leaving half the food and fell asleep again.

Clay carried the tray to the coffee table, placing the bowls on the table and putting the tray back in the kitchen. George was on the couch while Nick was returning to the couch after a long talk with 'Karl'. He had a big smile on his face.

Clay came back to the couch, noticing George had fallen asleep. Clay smiled at how adorable he looked before gently shaking him awake. George groaned and mumbled something, trying to turn away and fall back asleep.

"C'mon, eat dinner first. You can sleep all you want after dinner." Clay said, sitting next to George and picking up two bowls, one for himself and the other for George.

Clay was used to feeding George, having fed him when his hand was injured. He nudged George awake and he sat up leaning against Clay.

"Eat or I'm gonna feed you." Clay said. George didn't respond, he just babbled something incoherent and opened his mouth as if asking to be fed.

Nick came over to the couch and sat down, taking his own bowl and looking over at his friends. "What's up with him?" He asked.

"He's tired. He fell asleep but I can't let him go to sleep on an empty stomach." Clay said. He did what he used to do, feeding George, then eating a spoonful himself, then repeating.

Soon they all finished dinner. Clay collected their bowls and washed them, not bothering the sleepy George on the couch. After washing the bowls, he made his way back to the living room, picking up George who had fallen asleep again and letting Nick sleep.

"I'm gonna go sleep too, g'night!" Clay said in a whisper to not wake George up. Nick greeted him 'good night' and he made his way to the bedroom, placing George on the bed.

When he let go of George and tried to stand back up, he was pulled down again as George gripped onto his clothes. He smiled and gently opened George's hand, placing it next to his head.

Clay got in next to George, a hand resting protectively on top of him. He soon fell asleep listening to George's even breathing and occasional light snores.
____________________
1129 words.

Sorry for not uploading yesterday :( Anyways here's a new chapter so enjoy :]

Remember that you are valid and loved. Also remember to eat, sleep and stay hydrated. Have a great day/night.