Chapter 22

TW: Wound, Mentions Blood.

The next day, Clay went to work as usual and George was left at home with Patches. He decided to cook something to keep himself busy despite Clay having prepared lunch for him. It sucked that he had to eat lunch without Clay.

He decided to make two simple sandwiches, one for himself and one for Clay to taste when he comes back. He tried to copy how Clay makes sandwiches and succeeded, making a decent looking, messily arranged sandwich.

He was proud of his creation, going over to the cabinet to take a plate to cover Clay's sandwich with. As he grabbed the plate, it slipped from his hands and fell on the floor, shattering into multiple pieces.

George panicked, dropping to his knees to pick up the broken plate. Clay will be mad at him for making a mess in his kitchen. He picked up the shards with his bare hands, trying to clean the floor up.

A piece of the plate made contact with his skin, making a cut on the back of his hand. He hissed in pain and dropped the piece immediately to inspect his hand that now had blood seeping through the cut.

He applied pressure on it to stop the blood from flowing, rinsing his hand under tap water and picking up the broom to sweep away the bits of ceramic. After he was done cleaning up the shards, he put a different plate over Clay's sandwich and grabbed his own, starting to eat it, completely forgetting about his injury.

Later in the day, Clay got home and saw George who looked a bit upset. The two greeted each other but George wasn't as happy and enthusiastic as he usually was.

"Is something wrong? You look sad?" Clay asked as he sat down next to George on the couch. George quickly covered his injured hand with his other one, hoping Clay doesn't notice his cut.

"Nothing." George muttered, avoiding Clay's gaze. Clay inspected George, thinking why he was... ignoring him? His gaze landed on the hand that George was trying to hide from him and he carefully lifted his other hand up, revealing a wound. George closed his eyes tightly as he waited for Clay's interrogation to begin.

"What happened? How'd you hurt yourself?" Clay asked softly as he took hold of George's injured hand. George sighed, readying himself to explain to Clay how he broke the plate.

"I was doing something and I broke your plate. I'm sorry." He muttered. He hoped Clay wouldn't lecture him about being careless and clumsy.

"Its alright, it's just a plate. Did you put ointment on your cut?" Clay asked. George shook his head. "C'mon, we have to treat it correctly or it'll get infected." Clay explained as he stood up, softly pulling George up and taking him to the bathroom.

Clay held George's hand as he opened a tube of ointment and applied it on George's cut with gentle hands. George just stared at Clay's focused face, his hand subconsciously holding tighter onto Clay's.

"Does it hurt? I'm sorry." Clay muttered and George realized he was squeezing Clay's hand. He let go and watched Clay's face again. This guy cares way too much about me. But do I really... like him? He asked himself, a smile forming on his face.

"What were you doing in the kitchen that you ended up getting yourself injured?" Clay asked, fetching for a bandaid in the often-used-because-George-is-an-idiot medical kit.

"You're acting like I've got a severe life-threatening cut. Relax, it's just a small cut! It'll heal in a day! And uh- I... made a sandwich for you." George said, voice getting quieter towards the end.

"Aww, that's so sweet of you. But you should be careful in the kitchen, yeah? You can't just hurt yourself like that. It makes me worried." Clay said, making George blush at how caring Clay was for him. He took George back to the living room and went to the kitchen to see what George had created.

He lifted up the plate, seeing a sandwich with a smile on top made with ketchup. It made Clay's heart warm as a smile made it's way on his face. He took the sandwich to the living room, sitting next to George.

"Looks amazing." He commented, taking a bite out of the sandwich as George looked at him, hoping he liked it. Clay's eyes widened a second later and he smiled down at George.

"It tastes amazing too! You did a great job." Clay said, taking another bite and soon finishing the whole sandwich. "Well, that was my dinner. It was almost as if I made that sandwich. It tasted amazing, but it feels like I'm complimenting my own cooking."

"I told you I'm a quick learner." George said from beside him. "You had your dinner but I'm still hungry over here. Feed me!"

"I'll go make something for you." Clay said, getting up only to be pulled back on the couch by George.

"The lunch is still in the fridge. You can just heat it up and we can eat together. One sandwich isn't enough dinner, eat more." George said. Clay smiled and nodded, doing as George said.

The two ate dinner and went to bed, Clay being tired after work and falling asleep instantly and George being a little sleepy too but staying awake, holding onto Clay's hand that was on top of him.

He evaluated his behaviour and feelings carefully. How he felt around Clay and how he acted. He discovered how much he cared about the blonde. He wouldn't say he likes Clay, but he sure feels protected and protective around him.

George turned around, facing Clay's now, and hugged him, hiding his face in Clay's chest. Clay tightened his grip on George's middle and the two cuddled as George fell asleep too.

At the end of the day, the question still remains. Did George like Clay?
____________________
1001 words.

Remember that you are valid and loved. Also remember to eat, sleep and stay hydrated. Have a great day/night.