232. The Wrap Of The Filming

The snow started to fall in the north when the filming of Abduction of Children was completed. Just after a morning, the snow was more than ten centimeters deep in places.

The story didn’t have a certain ending. In the film, Chen Guai unlocked the chain, letting the little boy and his sister who had been protected by him leave. The yoke in his heart was also unlocked at the same time. He rushed to the old rental house and searched for his adoptive father’s account book.

His adoptive father was dying a lingering death on the bed. When he saw Chen Guai’s movement, he trembled and was about to raise his arm to stop him, but after being dogged by bad health for many years, he had already been like an aged man. He couldn’t even raise his arm, let alone stand up and beat others.

He made a hoarse voice to stop Chen Guai, but Chen Guai took the account book and stared at him coldly in front of the bed.

“I won’t support you and take care of you when you’re dying.”

“I won’t give you a burial.”

“But I will burn you up and let you to make atonement for your sins during your lifetime.”

Chen Guai was calm and indifferent when he said it in an emotionless voice, but there was a trace of anger in his words.

He turned and left without looking at the person on the bed.

His adoptive father lay on the bed as if he had used up all his strength. His arm fell and he let out the last breath, a turbid teardrop rolling out of the corner of his eye.

Did he regret it before he died? Did he regret the kidnapping of children all these years, the twisted outlook he had made Chen Guai to have, or the fact that his soft heart was touched when Chen Guai was about to die so that he adopted Chen Guai at that time?

It was unknown.

On the other side, the character played by An Cheng was running with his sister. According to the clues left by Chen Guai, the father who was looking for his son found the exhausted brother and sister in this desolate place. He looked at the two little figures and ran over desperately like he was running towards a certain hope.

In the final scene of the movie, Chen Guai, who had cut his hair and changed into a new suit, threw a rotten account book at the entrance of the police station. He ignored the scream behind him and walked into the distance with his backpack. He revealed the only smile of the entire movie and went in the direction of his memory to look for his biological parents.

It was a crisp wintry day. He breathed in the frosty air but let out a steamy breath.

Many years later, the last scene of Wei Changfeng’s movie “Abduction of Children” was still classic, while Qi Le’an had captivated generations of audience with his smile.

On December 30th, the last day but one of 2016, the filming was completed, which showed that the Production Supervisor had estimated the time with great precision so that everyone could go home for celebrating New Year’s Day.

In the evening, the whole crew had the last meal together. No one thought that the food in the small county town was bad. Wei Changfeng personally cooked two dishes to thank all the staff and actors for their support over the past three months.

Two seniors in the showbiz were sighing that the filming was not easy while the women in the crew already broke down in tears, saying that this was the best crew they had ever participated in.

It was not that they were so idle and relaxed in the crew or it had abundant funds, but that they really felt they were doing something meaningful in this environment while more and more movies were cranked out.