242. The Box Office

Wei Mama woke up on the eleventh hour after the operation. After waking up for three days, she found legacies one after another.

Her vision was distorted, her capacity for reaction became worse, and she became dim…

None knew if Wei Mama had noticed it, but the children around her sensed it. After Wei Mama had knocked over the glasses many times, she was silent too.

However, Wei Mama had no problems apart from these. The operation was very successful and she only needed tablets and radiation therapy.

But the postoperative care was another big problem. Wei Papa was getting older. When he came back this time, because of his worries and the travelling, his cold gradually became pneumonia. Wei Mama had not been discharged, but he was in hospital again. It was obviously unrealistic for Wei Papa to take care of Wei Mama.

The Sheng Family’s business was waiting for Sheng Chang’an to deal with, and even Wei Xin’an took over Wei Papa’s work. Their family could afford to hire caregiver, but they were outsiders after all.

In the end, they could only ask Wei Changfeng and Qi Le’an to take care of the sick old couple. However, the post-production of Abduction of Children became hectic, and they had to finalize a series of tasks including submitting for censorship and determining its release date. Wei Changfeng often commuted from Beijing to Haicheng three or four times a week, and sleep often eluded him because of the family matters. Qi Le’an felt sorry for him and hid Wei Changfeng’s ID card, forcing him to stay in Haicheng.

Wei Changfeng didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Qi Le’an kissed him so that he could rest assured.

The busy March had passed. Qi Le’an did not arrange work and drove from home to the hospital to take care of Wei Changfeng’s parents. Thankfully, they were not short of money. There were nannies at home while there were caregivers in the hospital and drivers would pick them up when they went out. Qi Le’an was just worried about more things, so he didn’t feel very tired.

Wei Mama was weak after the operation. She had many things she wanted to say but she often couldn’t say them out. One day Wei Papa went to the garden to take a stroll. She suddenly tugged on Qi Le’an’s hand, wept and tried to speak with her trembling lips.

Qi Le’an was startled. He hurriedly took a towel and wiped Wei Mama’s tears, “What is ailing you? I’ll call a doctor for you.”

Wei Mama shook her head and held Qi Le’an’s hand. After a long time, she slowly said, “Th… thank you…”

Qi Le’an was stunned and smiled, “Mom, what did you say? Isn’t it what I should do to take care of you?”

However, Wei Mama knew that this person in front of her had just been nominated best actor of the Oscar, which made him become one of the most bankable stars in the showbiz. The invitations to act in advertisements outside came to him like snowflakes, but he was willing to take care of her, a useless old woman…

She thought about the fact that she had turned against him because of him being together with her son back then and felt that she really shouldn’t have done like that…

Qi Le’an didn’t think too much about it. He knew that he was very popular now, and his fans were looking forward to seeing him get involved in a big-budget production. But in his heart, career was indeed part of his life, while family was actually the most important part of it.

His background made him deeply cherish his family. If he lost money, he could make money again. If his family was gone, he would really lose everything.

Besides, he was not completely out of work. He chose a suspense film from the scripts Chen Shan had thrown to him last year, and filming was due to start in July. After taking care of his family, he would also look at the script and analyze characters, or perform with An Cheng. An Cheng had a great gift for performing. Qi Le’an felt that he was really similar to Wei Changfeng.