~Crushing~

||SERAH||

"So, is your mom coming?" I ask Sue.

She is lodging on my bed, blissfully feasting on the red velvet muffins she bought us on her way to my place. On the other hand, I'm busy getting ready to take her to Essy's nail parlor to get her nails done. Her manicure has a strict schedule that she follows without missing. Contrary to that, I prefer having my nails natural. On occasion, I may apply nail polish but that mainly occurs on my toes. My fingernails are better off natural as per my simplicity.

"Yeap. Tomorrow," she responds with a sigh.

She still isn't content with her mom coming. If I were her, I would be bubbling with joy. Though I somehow understand her. Her mom has been on her sleeve so much that she tends to find it nagging. Well, I also understand her mom's behavior. She is just worried for her daughter and wants to make sure that she is fairing well.

"She'll find out that you never bought the sofa after she sent you the money," I point out with a secretive smile.

"I'll tell her I donated the money. Which is what I actually did anyway. I poured it all in that charity event we had at the beginning of the semester," she says with a shrug.

"You're too good at heart," I comment as I work on my black braids.

"Don't start flattering me," she flips me off. "I think you're ready now," she adds as soon as I am done tying my braids into a bun.

"Ready to leave," I counter instead and she smiles.

She steps off the bed, carries the muffins with her, and places them in the small cabin I normally put my edibles. As she does that, I put on white sneakers. We then step outside where she trades my slippers for her boots. When she is set, I take the slippers, place them on the shoe rack and finally lock the door.

"Hello, girls," Alice, the residence gossip champion greets us on our way towards the gate.

"Hello," we both respond in unison.

She checks us out until we are out of the gate you'd think she has nothing better to do. Perhaps she doesn't, because if she did, she wouldn't be perusing us for what she will deem worthy of gossiping about with her committee. Outside the gate, Sue expresses her dislike--for the millionth time--for the woman. She says that she grates her nerves every time she sees her. I can easily relate to that because she gets on my nerves too. Sometimes I just wish that she moved out.

In less than twenty minutes, we are at Essy's. Thankfully, she only has one customer and it looks like she is almost through with her. We won't be staying here too long. After this, I want to go complete the damn assignment that I never completed yesterday. I thought the due date was tomorrow at noon but it turned out to be midnight. Basically, today is the last submission day. Sue, as expected, never helped. Instead, she dragged me to a bike-riding fun time. Since I wanted out of the house, I agreed to it. Later in the evening, I was tired and my brain could barely function. After a much-needed shower, I watched a movie that I never finished because I fell asleep mid-way.

"Welcome," Essy says with an obligatory smile.

The kind that comes with the job description. She should try giving genuine smiles especially to frequent customers like Sue. Sue mumbles 'thank you' while I give her a weak smile. We then proceed to seat in the waiting booth. The customer she's working on seems no different from Alice. She's shamelessly scrutinizing us. If I were alone, it would make me uncomfortable or self-conscious. Now that Sue is here, I don't feel any of that. Her confidence perfectly covers for my deficient one.

"Figured what colors you want to put on this time?" I ask her as I scrutinize the colors board.

"Black and white," she responds without hesitation.