~Ophthalmologist~

||SERAH||

I had barely started moving on from Asahd when our encounter yesterday happened. For all I know now, I've fallen harder. The talk we had and his hearty gesture of giving me his cap are to blame. However, I'm glad we got the chance to meet. It was a dream come true for me. Well, even if it was under unanticipated circumstances. I never envisioned our first meeting addressing my problems and my creepy watching behavior, which was very embarrassing. I'll make sure to never repeat it.

Like the fallen soldier I am, his cap is still in my head. Perfectly fit on my braid. It makes me feel closer to him and picture him more accurately in my head. Having it with me also gives me hope of meeting him once again. Dangerous hope that can lead me straight into the black hole of pain and suffering. I have long known that Asahd is not someone I can hold my breath for because, in the end, I might end up dead from holding too long.

Nevertheless, today's class was supposed to happen at eight but the lecturer had other important things to deal with. So, he chose to send us an assignment that is strictly due midnight. It is as if he wants to make sure that his two hours didn't go to waste. I hate the mid-semester period. He should have at least considered giving us a short grace period. It is frustrating but there is nothing one can do save for work on it. The fast the better to get it over and done with.

About an hour into my thorough typing and research, a knock from the door catches my attention. At eleven in the morning, it must be one of the neighbors coming to borrow a flash drive for music and movies or a compound broom. Those are the main things we normally borrow from each other. If not, then it's Sue which I doubt because she has a class that's due in an hour or two.

Deciding that speculations are exhausting at the moment, I step off the bed and walk to the door. Upon opening it, my jaws seriously drop to the floor when my eyes meet Asahd's bright ones. For a moment, my eyes don't blink and my breath gets trapped in my lungs from shock. I can't say I'm surprised by this situation. I can also hear my heart ramming in its ribcage from nervousness and excitement. Oh, there is the freezing of my hands from nervousness as well.

This was not what I expected. Neither was seeing him again this soon let alone outside my house. Sue is standing beside him with a guilty smile on her face. It arouses so many questions. Most of which make me yearn for answers instantly. Questions like why Asahd is with her and that too, outside my house.

"What the hell?! Crap! Crappity! Your eyes are swollen!"

Sue's curses remind me of another situation at hand. My poor eyes. Yes, they are swollen but a little. Sue's reaction is somehow exaggerated and that also includes her stepping closer to examine them. Her guilty face has been replaced by a concerned one. Asahd's serene face as well. However, when his eyes take note of his black cap on my head, a smile crawls on his lips. Ah, Serah. As I hadn't embarrassed myself enough yesterday. Feeling busted, I swallow hard and internally scold myself.

"What are you doing here with him?" I ask Sue as she continues to examine my eyes. She is staring really close to my face I almost can breathe her exhale breath. "That's enough, Sue. It's nothing serious," I groan.

"It doesn't look like nothing serious, Serah," she counters in a serious tone. "Your eyes are swollen and they need--" I interrupt her before she can finish.

"I know they need to be checked out, Sue. Don't worry, I promise I am working on it," I lie hoping that she doesn't catch on to it.

I'm not really doing anything about it. I'm just hopefully waiting for them to adjust because I don't have any other option at the moment. I don't have the money to replace the broken lenses and I can't tell my parents about it either. The last thing I want is to burden them with more problems. It was just the other day that mom sent some money for my upkeep. Asking for more will be too much. The only hope I have is my savings from the festival allowances even though I know they won't be enough. I'll have to find another way to get the amount that will be needed on top.