Chapter Sixteen - 'We're okay'

I stood in mine and Tom's bedroom, my eyes looking at my reflection in the mirror as I put my earrings in. Tom and I had begrudgingly agreed to go out clubbing tonight with Haley and Harrison, our best friends eager to try and help us reconcile after what had happened at Tom's stag do. It had been a week since I had found out, and Tom and I had never been so distant before in our relationship, a fact of which was killing me inside. I bit my lip and tried not to cry in fear of ruining my makeup as I put my last earring in and added the final touch to my outfit. I flicked my eyes down to my jewellery box, my gaze wavering as my engagement ring sat there with the light of the room glinting off of the main rock. I gulped and gently got the ring out before slipping it into my purse. I wasn't ready to put it back on yet, but you always got a fair share of assholes in London clubs, and so I figured that it was best to keep my ring on me in case I needed it.

"You ready?" I turned around and gave Tom a small smile as he stood there with his hands in his suit trouser pockets.

"Yeah." I nodded as I walked towards him. His eyes wavered and he looked down as I got to him, my heart only breaking more with every second of this that went by. I gulped and gently cupped his cheek, making him look at me through his eyelashes with his puffy, and yet still gorgeous eyes. I sighed, tears pricking my eyes too as I leant in and gently kissed his cheek. He leant into my touch in response, my eyes fluttering shut and my mind relaxing even for just a second at the fact that I was back in his loving grip again. It had only been a week, but it had felt like so much longer since I'd felt this kind of love from Tom. I pulled away and looked at him, making him return it as his gaze flicked over my face and a tear rolled down his skin.

"I love you, darling." He spoke quietly. I sighed and gave him a small smile.

"I love you too, Tommy. I just need some time." I nodded. He returned it and gave me a small but still forced smile before taking my hand and intertwining our fingers as he walked us out of our bedroom.

Tom and I walked into the bar, Tom's hand protectively on my lower back, and both of us looking around as we visually searched for Harrison and Haley.

"There they are." Tom mumbled into my ear as he pointed at them, making me nod and take his hand as we started to push through the crowds of dancing people to get to them. They looked up from their booth as we got to them.

"Hey, you." Haley smiled as she hugged me, and Tom hugged Harrison. As Haley and I pulled away, she pulled me back in, making my eyebrows furrow as I looked at her.

"You okay? I heard about Tom and that girl." She mumbled into my ear as her eyes flicked over my face for any signs of sadness. Of course there were plenty, but now wasn't the time to talk about that. I sighed and tried not to cry as I pulled away and looked at her.

"Let's not talk about that, yeah?" I asked.

"Of course, honey." She nodded. I returned it and gave her a small smile as we all sat down at our table, and started to talk.

I stood on the dance-floor with Haley, the pair of us laughing and having the time of our lives as I swung my hips to the beat of the music. Suddenly, I felt someone grip my hips. I turned around and my eyes widened, my heart also jumping in my chest as I saw that it wasn't Tom.

"Let's dance, babe." The unknown man smirked.

"Erm, no thanks, my fiancé is here." I nodded as I tried to move out of his grip, but the disgusting asshole made up the space by immediately stepping forward.

"I don't see a ring on your finger." He continued to press as he curled his arms around my waist again.

"I don't care, I still don't want you touching me, so get the fuck off of me-."

"You heard her, get away from my fiancé." I sighed in relief as my waist was taken, and Tom pulled me behind him.

"If I see you even look at my girl again, you'll regret it." Tom warned.

"It may be hard, her ass looks amazing-." Tom cut the man off with a punch to his jaw, making him fall down as my eyes widened.

"Tom, Jesus!" I hissed as I rushed to put my hands against his chest and push him back.

"I warned, Y/N, I warned him." He spat at the man as he shook his head.

"Yeah, but look at what you've done." I sighed as I held up his hands to show him his now bloody knuckles. He returned the sigh and looked at me.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled. I bit my lip, my heart breaking again as I could see the sadness and pain that my fiancé felt just by looking up at him.

"Come on, you." I muttered as I took his hand and pulled him towards the back of the club. I wordlessly pulled him into one of the bathrooms, Tom letting me as I locked the door behind us.

"Let's get your hand cleaned up." I mumbled as I grabbed a towel and doused it in cold water.

"Sweetheart?" Tom's voice called out behind me.

"Hmm?" I asked as I started to turn around. As soon as I was facing Tom, his lips were against mine as his arms curled around my waist. I returned it, my eyes fluttering shut and my hands dropping the towel so that I could instead hold his face. I had to admit that after a week of not kissing him, after a week of feeling like we were nothing more than strangers, this felt pretty fucking good. He broke the kiss and looked at me, his eyes wavering as he looked over my face.

"I'm so sorry, my love. For everything. For being fucking stupid on my stag do, for kissing that girl, for not telling you straight away, for everything." He choked and shook his head as tears welled in his eyes. I bit my lip and sighed as I looked at him. It hurt that Tom had kissed another woman, but our wedding was only months away, and I truly believed that he hadn't meant to do it. Maybe my heart was wrong, but it was telling me to forgive him. And so, that was what I'd do.

"It's okay, Tommy. Just promise me that you'll never do it again. I know that you can't remember whether or not you kissed her back, but please promise me that you'll never be in a situation that makes you doubt that again. We're practically married, I need to know that I can count on you to be faithful." I nodded.

"Of course, sweetheart. I will never even look at another girl again if it proves that I'm serious." He promised. I gave him a small smile and nodded, my heart finally feeling like it could believe him as I looked down, and opened my purse.

"I think that it's time to put this back on." I spoke, making Tom's eyes waver as I gently slid my engagement ring back onto my finger. I bit my lip and looked up at him, so much love in my fiancé's eyes to tell me that he was serious about this. He was serious about marrying me.

"I love you, darling. So much." Tom choked as he hugged me tightly.

"I love you too." I returned, holding onto him for dear life as I closed my eyes, and let the happy tears start to fall for the first time in a week.