Chapter Eight - Trying to make things right

Tom's P.O.V

Tom pulled up to Harrison's house and stopped the car before letting his hands fall from the steering wheel, onto his lap. He just stared into space for a moment as he desperately tried to figure out what had just happened. He had no idea that Y/N had felt so upset over Tom not showing that he loved her. He had always been one to show how he felt about something through their sexual relationship, but that obviously wasn't enough for her. All he knew was that he couldn't lose her. He had known within the first night that she was it for him, so he couldn't lose her over something so small. Or at least it was small for him, but it was obviously a lot bigger for her, and so he knew that he had to take it seriously. Tom sighed and took the keys out of the ignition before opening the car door and climbing out. He shut it before walking up the path and ringing the doorbell. After a moment, it opened to reveal Haley.

"Oh, hey, Tom." She smiled.

"Hey, um...can I stay here for the night?" he mumbled. Her eyes widened, and the smile immediately dropped from her face.

"If you've hurt Y/N, I swear to fucking god-."

"Haley, I've got this." Tom sighed in relief, his heart calming down slightly as Harrison appeared next to his wife.

"This isn't over." Haley warned, Y/N's best friend staring Tom down and making the boy gulp as she walked away. Harrison followed her with his gaze before turning back to Tom.

"Sorry about that. But why are you here at eleven at night?" he scoffed. Tom looked down, fresh tears pricking his eyes as he relived the entire night in his head. Everything that Y/N had said to him, every tear that had rolled down her face. All of it had cut him like a knife.

"Can I please crash here tonight?" he choked. Harrison's face dropped and he sighed.

"Yeah. Course you can." He nodded. Tom returned it and sniffed before walking in, and Harrison shut the door after him.

"So what happened?" Harrison asked as the pair headed into the kitchen, and he gave Tom a beer. He sighed and rubbed a hand over his eyes as he tried to get his head straight enough to properly tell his best mate what had happened.

"Erm, well, I got home and I was feeling sort of...frisky...so I started to kiss Y/N's neck, and I tried to initiate sex. She wasn't having it, and then it came out that she thought that we weren't really working." He choked and shook his head, his heart plummeting to his feet purely at the thought of losing Y/N. Harrison's eyes widened.

"Why did she think that it wasn't working?" he asked.

"You know that we pretty much met by hooking up?" Tom asked.

"Twice." Harrison nodded. Tom sighed and looked down.

"So far, the relationship has been more...physical...than anything, and she said that she felt like I'm only with her for the sex." He choked and shook his head.

"And what did you say to that?" Harrison question. Tom gulped and looked timidly at his best mate.

"I-I, um...I didn't." He sighed. Harrison's eyes widened.

"What?! Why the fuck didn't you say anything?!"Harrison exclaimed.

"Because I didn't know what to say! Everything was fine, and then she just came out with 'I don't think that this is working'! She really caught me off-guard, I was just stunned, and beaten down by how upset she was." Tom choked and shook his head as tears started to leave his eyes again. Harrison sighed and nodded as he gave Tom a sorry smile.