Chapter 3

When we finally stop I look over and there are hundreds of people taking our picture! 'Talk about a need for privacy' I think to myself. There are people everywhere trying to ask questions. But we just act like they're not there, even though they are really loud and annoying.

Finally we finish eating and we get through the paparazzi we get to my house. They're still standing outside my door. Stop bothering us. "I think I should stay here until they leave." says Peeta. And now I want them to stay outside forever. I don't want him leaving. We lay on the couch. Peeta plays with my hair while I just stare into his deep blue eyes.

Then out of no where he stops. His eyes are clouding up. "Katniss, go please." He says. "Peeta, what's go-" but before I can finish he interrupts me by saying "KATNISS GO UPSTAIRS I DONT WANT TO HURT YOU!" I do as I'm told. I go in my room and lock the door. I hear him screaming, saying I'm a mutt. I start crying.

I know it's not him. It's the Capitols creation. But I can't help but cry. I can't help him. I'm useless. No one needs me. But Peeta does. He used to tell me I'm the reason he's living. And he's the reason I'm living. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't need to live on this cruel world.

I hear footsteps coming upstairs. I just noticed I'm in a ball in the corner crying. Look how weak I am. Peeta starts banging on the door telling me he's sorry. After a couple minutes I unlock the door and go back to my corner. "Katniss, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it." Peeta says. I know he didnt.

"It's okay." I say. Peeta wipes the tears off my face with his thumb. I don't deserve him. Like Haymitch said 'you could live a thousand times and still not deserve him' I know it's true. So I might as well make him happy. Any happiness I can give him I will give him because he deserves it.

Peeta picks me up and carries my to my bed. He tucks me in and kisses me goodnight. He's about to leave when I grab his hand and say "Stay with me." He replies "Always" and lays with me in bed. Once I find sleep I know the nightmares won't be far behind.

I'm running. Fast. But not fast enough. Mutts are chasing me. No matter how fast I run they are always gaining speed. I trip. They catch up to me and turn into all those people I love. Prim starts yelling that she hates me and it's my fault she's dead. My father is doing the same.

So is Cinna, Finnick, Rue, and everyone else. Even Peeta is there yelling at me. Him and Gale take turns stabbing me. I wake up screaming. I find myself in Peeta's arms. "It's alright it was just a dream." He says while rocking me back and forth while I'm crying.

I know he's right. I start to calm down and look at the time. It's 2:00 a.m. So I go back to sleep. Feeling safe back in Peeta's arms. When I wake up I turn over where Peeta should be. But he's not. I smell breakfast. So I know where he is. I decide to take a shower.

Once I'm in the shower I start to sing. I haven't sang since before the rebellion. When I get out I just put on a sweat shirt and some sweat pants since it's November. I leave my hair down because I'm too lazy to braid my hair and I head downstairs.

I see Peeta is flipping pancakes and didnt notice me come down. I sneak up behind him and hug him. He drops the pancakes everywhere. "Oh! Your gonna pay for that" he says in a playful voice. "Oh and how?" I say back. Then before I know it he dips his hand in the extra pancake batter and smears it all over my face.

He starts laughing like crazy. "Oh, your gonna pay for that, Mellark!" I grab the whole bowl of pancake batter and throw it all over his clothes "Oh! You did not. You know what? I'm sorry. Let me hug you to show you how sorry I am" He grabs me and hugs me and the pancake batter gets all over my clothes too. Then he kisses me. Right then someone knocks on the door.