Chapter 12

I wake up in a hospital room. Wait why am I in a hospital. I hate hospitals. they remind me of District 13. I feel someone holding my hand. I look over to see it's Peeta. He looks like he hasn't slept in days and that he's been crying. "Peeta?" I say in a weak voice. He looks up and says "Katniss, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." "What happened?" I ask. "These guys in peacekeeper uniforms came in while I was cooking and when I heard you scream I came running in. I saw you passed out on the ground and the guys about to climb out the window. I tried to get them but they got away. You had a concussion." He says. "How is that your fault?" I ask because I am really confused.

"It was my time to watch you and I still let it happen, I'm sorry." He says. "It's okay. It's not your fault." I say. Then my mother, Gale, and Haymitch come in the room. "Hey, how are you feeling?" Asks my mother. "Just a little light-headed." I say. I can see Gale, he looks mad. If he says something to Peeta he'll be sorry. "Peeta, can I talk to you in the hall?" Asks Gale. "I guess." Says Peeta. They walk out and leave me in a room with my mom and Haymitch. Time passes and we just sit there. I can't take the silence anymore so I say "Haymitch, can you go and check on them?" "Sure thing, sweetheart." He says and walks out.

"When can I go home?" I ask my mother. "You can whenever you feel ready." She says. The minute she says that I get up and walk to the hall. I can see Peeta and Gale are mad and Haymitch doesn't look to happy either. "Well it's y-" starts Gale until he sees me come toward them. "What are you guys talking about?" I ask because I'm completely confused. "Oh nothing." Says Gale. "Come on Peeta lets go." I grab his arm but he doesn't move. "Peeta, come on I can go home." I say. He just stands there like a statue.

"Did I miss something?" I ask. "Katniss, Gale thinks you shouldn't stay with Peeta because of what happened." Says Haymitch. "Well no one asked for his opinion. Come on Peeta." He still isn't moving! "Peeta, why aren't you coming?" I ask. "Katniss, I was the person suppose to be watching you and I failed." He says. "It's not your fault! Who knew peacekeepers would come through my window? No one." I say. "Katniss, I only want the best for you." Says Gale. "Well I don't care what you think is best! I feel safe with Peeta. Every second I'm with him I feel safe! Nothing is going to change that!" I say. I look at Peeta and see he's smiling. He finally budges and grabs my hand and we walk out of the hospital.