Chapter 27

Before I even know what I'm doing I sprint full speed to Gale and give him a gigantic hug. He responds to the hug immediately. It feels good to remember everything. I almost forgot that Peeta guy was here. I look over and see him staring at Gale. His facial expression allows you to see that there's a mixture of hurt and anger. I wonder why he's feeling like that. "I'm so glad I found you, Katniss." Gale says with a smirk plastered on his face.

I hug him tighter. Not ever wanting to let go. "Gale. Can I talk to you for a minute?" Peeta asks through clenched teeth. Wait. They know each other? I'm so confused. Something doesn't feel right. Gale nods and walks into the other room with Peeta. I stand there awkwardly until I hear muffled yells. I see Haymitch run into the other room and I follow. When I enter the room I see Gale and Peeta physically fighting. I start yelling for them to stop but they don't listen.

I run into the middle of the fight without even thinking. Bad idea. Thinking I could break up a fight between two very tall and muscular men? Am I really that dumb? Before I can step out of the fight, I feel something hit my face. It starts hurting immediately. My head starts pounding and I fall to the ground. I start seeing black dots and notice they stopped fighting and were looking at me. Peeta was saying unknown words. I couldn't hear anything and I could tell I was about to black out. When I finally black out, I start seeing my life on replay.

~

When I wake up, I find myself in Peeta and I's bed. I put my hand to my head because it hurts like crazy. I get out of bed and walk downstairs. Where is Peeta? I look around and find nothing. "Peeta?" I yell. I hear shuffling coming from the kitchen and then see Peeta come out. "Hey Katniss. How you feeling?" He asks as if unsure of what he should say. I run up to him and hug him. He seems shocked, but then hugs me back tightly. "I don't remember getting here. I missed you so much." I say while hugging him like I was never going to see him again.

He kisses my forehead and lets go, immediately I miss his warmth. "Well, I made you breakfast." He says while grabbing my hand and interlocking our fingers. We walk into the kitchen and I sit down. He brings me a plate with scrambled eggs and bacon. He also gets me a glass of orange juice. I smile and thank him. He sits down across from me and eats as well. I take a minute to look at him. His blond hair, and his brilliantly blue eyes. They are just a few things I love about him. I love how he scratches the back of his neck when he's nervous. I love how he smiles all the time.

I love how he talks. I love his personality. I love everything about him. I start eating the delicious food and put my plate and cup away. When I'm done. I go into the living room and sit with Peeta. I look at him and see he's thinking about something very hard. I poke his cheek and say "What are you thinking about?" He looks down at me and chuckles. "I'm thinking about different ways I should beat up Gale and Snow for doing that to you." He says with his jaw tightening. I grab his hand and hold it. His hand is big and warm. It makes me feel safe. It's the first time I've ever noticed my hand fits perfectly in his. I give him a little squeeze and ask "What happened?"

He looks away from me and stares off into the distance. He seems to be deciding if he should tell me or not. I let him take his time to decide on what to say. I lay my head on his chest and wait patiently. "You forgot everything for a little while." Peeta says after a couple of minutes of silence. I forgot him? How could I forget him? He's been there for me for so long, I can't even think about forgetting him. "I'm sorry." I say in a whisper. I feel bad. He must've been so confused and hurt. I can't even imagine. "Don't be sorry. It wasn't your fault." He says while looking down at me. I smile at him and my mind starts to wander. 3 years ago if you told me I was going to be in two hunger games, a rebellion, and be engaged to Peeta Mellark I would laugh at you and recommend you to get help.

I can't even imagine my life differently at all now. I love Peeta. I've loved him the whole time, I just didn't know it then. But I know it now. "I love you." I say while holding his hand and interlocking our fingers. That's when I realize how tired I am. My eyes flutter close and I start listening to Peeta's heart beat. Before I'm fully asleep I hear Peeta say "I love you too, Katniss. I always have and always will." Then I feel him kiss my forehead and that's when I drift off into a deep sleep with nightmares surely behind

~

It's dark and cold. I'm in the games, but it's different. I see Peeta, Prim, Finnick, my dad, Cinna, everyone! I start yelling there names, but when they all look over, everyone but Peeta vanishes. Gale pops up next to Gale and they give each other a look. The next thing I know they're charging for me. Then, I'm pinned to a wall with a knife against my neck. "Peeta, please don't do this." I say with tears running down my face. "It's too late. It's too late." He says and smirks. Then he starts screaming "KATNISS. KATNISS. WAKE UP!" And that's when I do.

~

I wake up in Peeta's arms. I start crying and he rocks me back and forth cooing nice and comforting things in my ear, never asking once what my dream was about. And I'm thankful for that. Once I get myself back together I thank him and he nods. We lay down again and I just stare at the ceiling. I hear Peeta breathing steadily, so I know he's asleep. I just stare at the ceiling for an hour before I hear Peeta's heart start racing. His usual smile is a frown and he has a look of fear. Then, he wakes up and looks around the bedroom frantically until he sees me and suddenly relaxes. So, that's what he does when he has nightmares? No wonder I never notice.

"It's okay I'm right here." I say while kissing his cheek. He nods and whispers "She's alright. She's here." to himself, probably to reassure himself. I look over at the clock and it says 6:18 a.m. We decide to go downstairs and eat breakfast. Peeta makes cereal and we sit down and eat. Once we're done I start cleaning the dishes in the sink. I feel two arms wrap around my waist and I jump, startled for a second. He kisses my cheek and I laugh. I spin around so we are face to face. I put my arms around his neck and say "I love you so much, you don't even know." He grins and leans closer while saying "You'll never know how much I love you, Kat."

I chuckle, "Since when have you called me Kat?" I ask jokingly. His grin gets even bigger and says "Hey! We're a couple! When need pet names!" I roll my eyes and say "So, I can call you Pete?" He gives me a look and says "Absolutely not! Kat is a cute name and it suits you! Pete? Do I look like a Pete to you?" I nod and he laughs. "I won't call you Pete. I like Peeta. It suits you." "Good!" We laugh and walk over to Haymitch's house. We walk in and see him eating breakfast. "The love birds decided to come and visit? Sorry. I don't have any more food." He says. "We already ate." I say. And he responds "Good."

We sit down and just small talk. About the wedding, about our friends, about district 12, pretty much about everything until our conversation comes to halt when we here pounding on the door. "KATNISS EVERDEEN. WE KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE. COME OUT OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES! SNOW NEEDS YOU NOW!" A strong manly voice yells. I look at Peeta and he looks at me. That's when we bolt up the stairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I AM SOOOO SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG. School has started and I'm always busy now! I will update when I can! Vote, comment, message me, do whatever! (: I love you guys! You are absolutely
~Young Grasshopper Kayla B)