Chapter 13

I can't believe Gale. He pinned the whole thing in Peeta. How could he do that? It isn't his fault. He has some nerve blaming him. He's really not helping himself. If he thinks I'm going to even look at him after that. I think I'm thinking too hard because my head is starting to hurt again. We finally get to my house and walk in to find a bunch of people looking around my house. The second they see us they dash for an open window. They're fast. Fast enough to make it out. Guess I'm not safe. Well that's life. My life. We look around and see they didnt take anything. What were they looking for then? Obviously they knew I wasn't there. Wasn't Haymitch suppose to be watching my house? Well, that explains it.

Everything starts spinning and I'm about to fall, when Peeta catches me. He picks me up and carries me up to my room. I lay down and he sits on the bed just watching. I know he won't let himself sleep after what happened. I lay down and close my eyes. I act like I'm asleep because I know I won't be able to sleep. I hear the phone ring but I stay still "sleeping". When Peeta answers the phone I know who's on the other line. "I can't believe she let you watch her after she almost died on your watch! I hope you know this is your fault." Says Gale to Peeta. I peak my eyes open a tiny bit to see what his facial expression is and it looks hurt. Really hurt. Like he actually believes what Gale is saying. Peeta just hangs up the phone.

Peeta starts pacing back and forth around the room. Why is he pacing? What's he so nervous about? Then I hear someone coming up the stairs. They open the door and it's Haymitch. He looks sober. "Peeta, it's not your fault, stop blaming yourself!" Says Haymitch. "But if I was watching her more carefully she wouldn't have been in the? hospital for days!" Says Peeta. "I'm not exactly sure how I'm suppose to help you." Says Haymitch. "I feel bad. I love her and I don't want anything to happen to her." Says Peeta. "I know Peeta, we all know. Your the only person she trusts, you do know that right?" Says Haymitch. Peeta smiles and says "Yeah, I do."

"Well, stop blaming yourself, she's alive and here. Isn't that what matters, boy?" Says Haymitch. "Yeah, I guess." Says Peeta. "Well, I'll keep an eye on you guys, see you later." Say Haymitch as he walks out. Peeta gets back and sits up in bed. I close my eyes all the way and feel him playing with my hair. Like he always does. I hear pounding on the window. Who wants to talk to him now! He gets up and I peak my eyes open again and see Gale is at my window. "Gale, what are you doing here?" Asks Peeta. I know he's not in the mood to hear how it's his fault AGAIN. "I'm here to watch too. If she's going to have you watch her, I'm going to watch too. I don't trust you." Says Gale. "

"Thanks Gale. I'm glad jealousy didnt get the best of you." Peeta says sarcastically. "Watch it bread boy!" Says Gale. "Listen, I don't want trouble." Says Peeta. "Yeah, we'll see." Says Gale while he sits down like he's going to stay for awhile. Great. Another person to burden with. I act like I'm waking up. I sit up and stretch and act surprised when I see Gale. "What are you doing here?" I say. "Just came here to check on you." Says Gale. "Well, I don't need 'checked' in on. I'm perfectly fine." I say. "I was just making sure." He says. "Well, you can leave now." I say. "Okay, I'll be back later." He says climbing out the window. I hug Peeta and ask "What was that about?" trying not to act suspicious. "Like you don't know." He says starting to laugh. "How'd you know I was awake?" I say. "I know you too well." He says.