Chapter Four

Morgan

Last inning, two strikes, two balls, and there is someone on second and third base.  We ended up winning all of our games before this, which put us in the championships against Niall’s team.  Imagine that, right? My team's down by one, and I just so happen to be the player who is up to kick.  Lucky me. There is quite a bit of pressure on me now because I don’t want to lose the game for my kids.

I walk up to the plate and look Niall straight in the eye, waiting for him to roll the ball down to home plate.  I know.  Why are the counselors allowed to kick?  Well some cabins aren’t really that lucky and don’t have the best team, so about two years ago Megan allowed some counselors to play on those teams.  The kids of other cabins ended up starting to complain, so there become a new rule that all the counselors can play now.  Honestly, I really wouldn't care either way.

Once I get my feet place just where I want them, Niall gives me a head nod then the ball rolls down towards me.

Pow!

The ball makes it all the way down to left field.  The kid on third dashes and slide into home plate, so the score is tied now.  Then the one on second base rounds off third and makes her way to home plate as well. Now, our team is in the lead.  I've got my eye on second when this kid comes out of no where and nails me in the face with the ball.  There's no question that flat out land on the ground instantly.

“Morgan? Morgan?  Can you hear me?” 

It's a real struggle just to get my eyes open, but when I manage to I quickly see Niall along with a whole group of kids looking over me. It's as if I'm in a zoo, and a field trip from an elementary school just came to watch me.

“What happened?”  Moving my hands and feeling the ground around me, I realize I'm just surrpunded by dirt Great, I am so going to need a shower when I can somehow get myself up. For now, I think I am just going to lay here until this pounding headache I have goes away.

“You were running to second base, and Adam threw the ball to get you out and ended up hitting you in the face.” When Niall speaks, the horrible memory starts coming back to me. No wonder why my head hurts so bad. 

“Yeah, sorry about that Miss Morgan.  I promise I wasn’t aiming for your face," Adam apologizes to me and leans down to give me a hug. He's so sweet, so I know he's being genuine. 

Despite the fact that I don't feel like moving at all, it is probably a good idea to get up off the ground. However, when I try to sit up, my headache becomes way more intense, and I almost fall back down to where I was. I make it up into a sitting position though.

“It’s alright.  I know you didn’t mean to.” I return the hug, so he knows I'm atcually not mad.

“Are you sure you are okay to get up and walk?” Niall entends his hand and takes mine in his. Of course, to add on to the pain I am already going through, the butterflies in my stomach decide to go crazy due to his touch. Unfortunately, all of that put together just ends up keeping me in the dirt. “You know what?  Let me carry you to the nurse.” 

Scooping me up in arms in just one swift motion, he begins to walk me over to the nurse. At first I protest, but he ends up winning. I really don't even know why I would try to stop him though because who wouldn't want to be in his arm, and not even for the first but second time this summer? 

___

“Thank you for carrying me all the way here.  I really appreciate it, even if you really didn't have to.” 

He lays me down on one of the simple white beds in the nurse’s office that just have a pillow and blanket for if a camper needs to stay in there over night due to a sickness. We want to make sure whatever he or she may have doesn't spread to any of the other kids. The worst part about all of this though is the fact that since this is a building at a camp site for kids, the nurse's place is completely covered in kiddy forest animals, that do nothing but stare at you no matter where you move. The raccoon is the animal that freaks me out the most. Such a stupid animal.