Chapter Nineteen

--Morgan

“This is it! Is everyone ready?”  Tonight is the night of the performances.  “Don’t be nervous.  I know y’all will do great because y’all have been practicing so hard this whole week.” 

I hear Megan introducing mine and Holden’s cabin requiring all of the kids to get set up on stage.

There a couple potted plants on stage which most of the kids are hiding behind, and Mary, one of the main characters, is in the middle of the stage with her hands over her eyes. 

“Ready or not here I come!” She yells.

Connor, one of the other main characters, screams, “Everybody run!” 

All the kids that were once hiding are now running off stage, leaving Connor hiding behind one of the bigger plants, and Mary looking for him.

“I know you’re here somewhere, so you might as well come out!”  Connor then pops out behind the plant and Mary acts as if he scares her.

“Don’t scare me like that, Neil!”  She lightly hits his arm.

“I’m sorry!  Hey I’ll race you inside!”

“You’re on!”   The two of them run off stage.

The next scene Mary is sitting on a taller stool pretending to look down on a pool full of kids. 

“Hey no running!”  Then Connor walks on stage and sees Mary.

“So you a life guard here too Madison?”

“Yeah and who are you?  Wait Neil?  I haven’t seen you since we were kids!”  She climbs down off of the stool to hug him.

They walk off stage while pretending to talk and catch up, ending that scene.  Mary and Connor then walk back on stage as the rest of the kids, in bathing suits, get in lines and begin to dance like synchronized swimmers.  

“Well done kids!  What do you think Neil?”  He walks back and forth pretending to look at the group of dancing kids then stops in front of Mary.

“I think you should go out with me.”  Mary smiles.

“I was waiting for you to ask.” The two of them hug and walk off stage while holding hands. 

The rest kids split in half and one side skips off stage to the left, and the other skips off to the right side.  The rest of the campers and counselors in the audience begin to clap.

“Y’all get back out there and take a bow!  You deserve it!”  I tell them as they all rush back out on stage to take their bows. 

Even though everyone seems to love it, the only opinion I really want to know was Niall’s.  I obviously wrote this play on how I felt about him and I.  Holden clearly didn’t know the meaning of this play, and I don't really plan on telling him. 

I look out to the audience hoping to see Niall clapping with a smile on his face, but I can’t find him anywhere.  I only see an empty seat next to Kathleen where he must have been just minutes before.

“Kathleen…where’s Niall?”  She looks over to her right where she also finds the empty seat.

“He was right here a minute ago.  I didn’t even know he left.”  Of course she didn’t!  I’m surprised she knows her own name.  She is zero help.  I leave her to go and try to find Niall.

I don’t get very far when someone pulls back on my shoulder causing me to stop. 

“Morgan, they love it!  The crowd really loves our play!”  Holden swirls me around, picks me up in his arms and squeezes me tightly.  I really don’t feel like being here right now.  I just wanted to go and look for Niall.  “Come on, we have to congratulate our kids for doing so well.”