Chapter Fifteen

Morgan

Handing me a few of my t-shirts that I attempted to fold out of my laundry basket, my mom asks, “Are you sure you want to go this year, sweetie?” 

Of course she would ask me something like that. I kind of broke down one day while she was over and ended up telling her everything that has been going on between Niall and I. I also mentioned to her that he's planning on volunteering at the camp as well, so she is worried something bad might happen. I know she is just being a good mother and making sure I'm at my happiest.

“Yes, mom. I’ll be fine. I would never plan my life around a silly boy, and it isn’t like we ever dated. It was just a crush. I’m over it.”

Anyone could tell that my smile that followed my words is completely fake, but it's the best I can do right now. I wish I could admit that I really meant my words, but I know darn well that seeing Niall this summer is going to be harder than I'm prepared for. I ignore my mother's worried look as I sling the straps of the bag over my shoulder. It's getting to that time where I have to leave or else I won't make it to camp at a decent time.

“If you say so. Try to have fun, okay?  I’ll miss you so much.” 

Her arms attempt to wrap around my shoulders, avoiding my bag, but her hug becomes a little too sufficating. I can always tell that she is trying to hold in crying when she squeezes me too tightly while hugging me.

“Um. Mom, I can’t breathe.”  Thankfully, she releases her grip, allowing me to catch my breath. “I appreciate you coming over to help me pack, and I’ll miss you too. I better get going though. Could you help me get my other bag?”

“Sure, honey," her voice slightly shaking from the tears she doesn't want to show.

Grabbing my other duffle bag, she follows me out to my car. I understand that she won't be seeing me for a couple of months, but we have been doing this for a mulitple years now. How could she possibly be upset every time? I don't even live at home anymore. I don't think I will ever know why my mom does what she does most times.

"Okay, I think that's it. I guess I will see you at the end of the summer. I love you, mom.”

“I love you too, Morgan. Be safe.” 

Giving her a nod of the head in agreement, I close my door as I turn my car key into the ignition. There's a full tank of gas and a back seat full of clothes, so it looks as it I'm ready to go. When I look out my side window, I see my mom standing with a slight smile on her lips. I give her a smile in return before pressing play on my Pandora and backing out of the driveway.

After driving for about two and a half hours I am close to being three-fourths of the way to camp.  The closer I become, the more nervous I feel. The butterflies go crazy thinking about seeing that cute little face of Niall's, but at the same time, I'm scared about what he's going to say about us. The last time he and I spoke was when he told me he was seeing someone, which completely distroyed me. That was awhile ago, so there is no telling what could have happened in the month that we haven't said anything to each other. I can only hope he's single again. 

--

It's no surprise that as soon as I pull into the parking lot and open my door, I see Megan rushing over to me. She has always been the first to greet me back to camp when we all return. 

“Hey, Morgan. Need any help?” She asks, bringing me in for a hug. I'm thankful she isn't like my mom and keeps the hig short and sweet.

“Um, yeah. Hold on.”  I grab my phone out of the cup holder and put it in my pocket, along with my car keys.  “I don’t have much. Just two bags.”