Chapter Nine

Niall

Guitar? Check.  Marshmallows? Check.  Singing voice?  Double check.  This bonfire thing tonight is really starting to stree me out because apparently someone volunteered me to surprise the kids and sing in front of all them. I haven't played or sang in what feels like years, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.

“Ready for the bonfire tonight?" I ask the kids in my cabin as they continue to get their things sorted out for leaving tomorrow. "We have to make it the best since it is the last night of camp."

“Please don’t remind us, Mr. Niall. I don't want to leave yet,” Ryan says as he passes by me to walk out the door.

“What?  I’m just saying. You know what...let’s just forget about that and have fun tonight," Without me even paying attention, all the kids that were just in the cabin are now half way to the campfire. "Hey, wait up!"

They all beat me to where everyone is, but I couldn't help it. As soon as they saw me running after them, each one of them decided to make this a race and run here as well. Now, I'm completely out of breath and trying to regain it while bending down to rest my hands on my knees. 

“Oh there you are, Niall," I feel a hand being placed on my back, and I look up to see just the girl I've been waiting to see. "Does anyone want Niall to play us a campfire song? I hear he is really good at playing the guitar.”  

Me good? Morgan clearly has no idea what she's talking about, but I won't deny a compliment. By the way she's seems to be so giddy about the idea of me playing tonight you could tell she knew about this all along and must have been the one to convince Megan to make me play. I guess I don't mind if it makes her this happy.

“I may not be as good as Miss Morgan is making it sound, but I’ll try my best. Any requests on what song I should play first?”  There are a lot of suggestions thrown out at me, so I just decide to pick one myself.  “How about ‘The Campfire Song Song’?” 

I know it's a pretty lame song, but I have always loved watching Spongebob Squarepants when I was younger. Plus, this song is perfect for the occassion. What could be better to sing at a campire than the campfire song song? With my guitar resting in my lap, I clear my voice and begin to sing.

“Let’s gather ‘round the campfire and sing a campfire song, a c-a-m-p-f-i-r-e-s-o-n-g song.” 

Continuing with the music, I look up from my guitar and see something that makes me furious. Greg is already in motion and is ready to make his move with Morgan. Earlier, I didn't realize he was actually serious, but by the looks of him taking a seat next to her, it seems as if he is. To my surprise, Morgan doesn’t seem the least bit interested, which I think is a good thing...right?  Being so preoccupied with the events going on on the other side of the fire, I begin to struggle some with the song, but I eventually get through it. 

“So what song should I do next?”  I ignore all the song requests the kids are giving me and watch Greg trying to wrap his arm around Morgan. I have to keep him from going any further. “Greg, do you have any ideas?” 

Luckily, he retracts his arm, placing it back by his side to act as if nothing's happening.

“No, man. I’m sorry.” Of course he doesn't because he’s too busy trying to get with my girl…uh I mean Morgan.

Morgan

Of course Niall would play a song from the show, Spongebob. As a kid, I don't think he went one day without talking about it or refrencing a episode. I guess even after all these years, he still has a love for that cartoon. I don't really mind though because I honestly thought it was pretty cute.