Chapter Sixteen

Morgan

There are a lot of new kids and a few new counselors this summer, so Megan thought it will be nice if the whole camp gets together to get to know each other. The camp is quite big now, so each of the counselors will get with two others making four groups of three counselors. When Megan makes the announcement, everyone scrambles to get with who they prefer.

Niall isn't very subtle with who he wants his first partner to be. Me. To make things worse, my kids somehow convinced me to be with him as well. I honestly want nothing to do with him at the moment and would much rather be in a group with a rock.

"Are you coming over here to join us, Morgan?" Niall asks, as one of my kids practically shoves me towards him and his girlfriend.

"Yeah, my kids really want to be with yours...so here I am," I crack a little smile even though I'm not quite the happiest right now.

"Great! Now, you and Kathleen can get to know each other better," He wraps his arm around her and I just like we are all best friends. This is so going to be a long summer.

I don't understand how Niall and Kathleen are even together. From what I can tell, they don't even have anything in common with each other. They are almost complete opposites. I don't care what they say about opposites attracting or whatever, these two should not be with one another at all. And I'm not just saying that for a certain other reason either.

We end up doing an activity where everyone sits in a circle, and the way we are to get to know everyone better is to answer a question that will be pulled from a hat. We begin getting through the questions fairly quickly because everyone seems to just want to give simple answers. It's ironic though how Niall and I have more similar answers than him and Kathleen. After this, I will not understand if Niall doesn't see what's pretty darn clear here and stays with Kathleen. She's nothing more than just a pretty face.

Is that what he's into though? A pretty girl with nothing going on up in the ole noggin? Maybe that is why he never wanted to date me. Because I actually have some knowledge. He couldn't be that shallow though. There's no way.

"The next question is 'what is your favorite subject in school'?"

Most of the kids answer by shouting out lunch or recess. Typical answers from kids in elementary school. I have a little more of an actual answer.

"Well mine is geography and art," I say as I notice Niall's face light up.

"You like geography? I didn't know that. I love geography."

By the look on her face, Kathleen doesn't seem too impressed, immediately jumping in with the first thing that pops into her mind.

"I like the one with all the numbers!"

Everyone stops talking and looks straight at Kathleen, almost embarrassed for her. I even see Niall shaking his head with shame.

"You mean math? I'm ten, and I know what the class with the numbers is." Ryan responds following with a laugh, which in turn causes the other people in the group to laugh along with him. I hate to admit that I did the same. "So are we done yet, Mr. Niall?"

With the kids all beginning to calm down, Niall and I quickly take notice of the boredom starting to take over. That is the last thing you would ever want to happen with a large group of kids, so we need to resolve that quickly.

"Uh yeah. I guess we can be done. My kids go back to our cabin, and I'll meet y'all there." I announce to all the kids from my cabin. When I get up to join the kids scurrying off from the group, I want to join, but I would regret not saying goodbye to the love birds. "Alright, so I guess I'll see you two later."