Chapter 11

Stupid stupid stupid

Tommy panted as he landed outside Wilbur's work, opening the door and dashing inside.

"Will help me!"

Wilbur glanced up from cleaning a cup, his eyes wide as he saw a disheveled Tommy burst in the door. He looked like he had been crying. He put the cup down, coming out from behind the counter and gripping Tommy's arms.

"What's wrong? Did he find you?"

Tommy shook his head frantically, throwing himself into Wilbur's arms.

"It's Phil, I used my power and he got mad-"

Wilbur sighed and hugged him close, running his fingers through Tommy's hair.

"Shh it's okay... I'll pack up and we can talk on the way home okay?"

Tommy shook his head, burying his head in the crook of Wilbur's neck.

"I can't go home, Phil will literally kill me."

The way he choked out the words was a warning signal enough that something was very wrong. Wilbur nodded and rubbed circles on his back, singing quiet harmonies to the younger.

"I have an apartment I stay at whenever I need to be away from Phil and Techno, do you want to stay there?"

Tommy nodded mutely, tired out from all the crying he had done today. Wilbur wrote a note to the next person on shift, apologizing for not cleaning up before closing up and leading Tommy to the outer districts. As they walked Tommy loosened up, looking around suspiciously.

"You're not gonna murder me right?"

He joked, bumping shoulders with Wilbur. Wilbur smirked at him, playfully shoving back.

"Maybe if you're not careful~"

Tommy giggled and pushed back, poking his tounge out at Wilbur.

After about an hour of walking, Wilbur stopped outside a dingy apartment building.

"Tada! Careful of the neighbors, they're vigilantes too but they're a bit strange."

Tommy nodded, following Wilbur as he took him up to apartment 16. It was a bit cleaner inside, still dark and damp but better than some of the conditions Clay had left him in. He smiled warmly at Wilbur.

"It's perfect!"

Wilbur smirked back, about to answer with a snarky remark when his phone rang. Without even looking at the caller ID h held the phone to his ear.

"Hello, Wilbur here."

"Hey Wilbur, it's Phil. Do you know where Tommy is?"

Wilbur glanced at Tommy, nervously shifting from one foot to the other.

"Yeah I do, why do you want to know?"

"Wilbur he attached a string to each of us. For all we know he could be controlling something about us just enough but not so much that we notice."

Wilbur sighed in exasperation, rubbing his temple. Tommy wouldn't hurt Wilbur, the brunette knew that for a fact. And by association, he assumed that spread to his family as well. Whatever Tommy had meant by a string he needed to know but he doubted it was anything bad.

"I'll talk to you about this when I get home, first I want to hear about it from Tommy."

Tommy looked up at Wilbur in alarm, shrinking into the wall as if he was afraid of being hurt. Wilbur offered him a soft smile, mouthing to Tommy that he wouldn't hurt him. Phil sighed on the other end.