Chapter 17

The next day seemed to be normal when Tommy opened his eyes. It was quiet other than the random sizzling noise.

Sizzling noise?

Tommy sat up, pulling on a red hoodie and carefully creeping to the kitchen. His heart hammered in his chest as he peered carefully around the corner, ready to restrain anyone who was in the house.

Wilbur stood at the stove, humming a soft tune as he cooked some bacon strips and eggs. Tommy watched for a little while, trying to decide if he was the real Wilbur. He checked Wilbur's back, sighing in relief as he saw the red string there. There were shapeshifters in the city, but none of them could fake the connection to the strings Tommy controlled.

"Hey Will, why aren't you on patrol?"

Wilbur spun around, grinning and tapping his phone.

"I asked Tubbo and Ranboo to cover for me, I'm taking you to a theme park today!"

Tommy shrugged, sitting at the bench. It wasn't the freedom he wanted but at least Wilbur was letting him do something outside the house. Wilbur gave him a funny look, flipping the eggs.

"I thought you'd be more excited. Or... have you never gone to a theme park?"

Tommy shrugged, picking at a piece of rice stuck to the table.

"I've just been at home and exploring the rooftops, your cafe was the most normal place I went to."

Wilbur huffed, plating up the bacon and eggs before sliding a plate to Tommy. The blonde happily dug in, Wilbur eating his own food with similar gusto.

"You'll love it I promise. Although Dream is floating around the inner districts so we have to go to a sketchier theme park."

Tommy shrugged. He didn't really mind if it was sketchy or not, as long as he got to hang out with Wilbur he was fine.

--<>----

Tommy clung tightly to Wilbur's arm, glancing around at the tall constructions and spinning objects. Wilbur noticed his discomfort and lead him to a food stand, laden with snacks and sweets.

"Pick whatever you like!"

Tommy scanned his gaze over the food, his gaze landing on a bucket of colourful fluffy stuff. He pointed at it, drawing Wilbur's attention.

"What's that?"

"That's candy floss, do you want it?"

Tommy didn't even hesitate, nodding frantically. Wilbur giggled and bought the sugar fluff, giving Tommy the tub and watching happily as he discovered the joys of candy floss. He was so happy that he had decided to take Tommy here, he was going to absolutely love the rides.

--<>----

Tommy did not love the rides. He screamed the whole time, even if he denied it afterwards ("I'm a big man Will!") and refused to go on any more after his third try. They then wandered around the theme park, looking for something else to do.

It was nearing eleven and Wilbur was just about ready to give up and go home when Tommy tugged on his sleeve, pointing towards a stage where a guy with golden wings was doing card tricks. He had a giant scar down one side of his face and what looked to be a little boy that was acting as the guy's assistant.

"Can we go look at that?"

Wilbur glanced over, shrugging. As long as Tommy was having fun he didn't mind what they did.

"Sure Toms. Lead the way."

Tommy dragged Wilbur to the stage, watching curiously as the man made cards appear and disappear at will. It didn't seem like it was his power but you never knew these days.