Chapter 27

(Unedited)

The silence was dark and thick...

"Why-Why is this not working?" Sybil had asked weakly, her eyes on Iris, and Azure gritted her teeth as she glared at her sister who had been lying to them for years.

"I don't fucking know, Sybil. So why don't you just shut up and--" The hurtful words had left Azure in a word-vomit and she did not realize what she had done until she heard her sister whimper weakly; guilt gripping her at once.

"Sybil, I... I am sorry. Come here. Don't cry. It's okay, don't cry. We will bring her back. We removed the spell from everyone's minds, didn't we? We will save her too. Don't lose faith, sister." Azure hugged her sister, Sybil's body jerking as she hiccuped, and when she heard the sound of footsteps, she looked at the door only to find Esme and Sin walking in.

"I had to put Athena to sleep but she will be fine. Rayelle is shocked too but she's looking after her. Lillian's wolf refuses to shift or leave Iris alone so she will be staying here... The others simply need time to heal." Esme informed the Princesses, her eyes on Iris, and Azure pulled away from Sybil before kissing her forehead lovingly.

"Go and get some rest, Sybil. We need you at your full strength to bring Iris back. Elsa, her mind is still fragile so please take care of her and make sure she gets some sleep." Azure had smiled at Elsa as she wrapped her arm around Sybil and when she looked back, Esme was sitting beside Iris; her golden eyes brimming with pain.

"You're in love with her, aren't you?" Azure had asked quietly, moving closer only to take a seat beside Iris, and Esme's tears dropped on her anchor's hand when she kissed it before pressing her cheek into her palm.

"I have found myself utterly devoted to her, yes, and I would do anything for her. Anything. If that means I am in love with her, then I am." Esme replied softly, gazing at the strong woman before her, and Azure sighed heavily; her Genevieve's pain mixing with her own.

"I do not know whether to thank you for attacking me and for giving me that one memory which forced me to see the truth or to hate you letting her do this for over a fucking century." Azure had not meant to sound as vile as she did but Esme had understood her suffering and merely smiled at her; her ache apparent.

"I had hated her at first too. Not knowing why she was doing what she did, I thought of her as just another power-hungry tyrant after my powers... But then I started to doubt her when she did not kill Sybil the day she took her magic. I knew she could but she didn't. And she let you leave with Sadie too... Although, it all became painfully clear the day I... The day I killed her daughter and she let me live." Esme had cried into her anchor's hand, the sound of her pain-filled howls still fresh on her memory, and Azure had looked at her in alarm; unaware of this part.

Before Azure could speak, Elsa Kahlan and Sybil were walking inside ...

"Why are you back? I asked you to rest, Sybil." Azure had made sure to keep her voice gentle because she knew how Kahlan could be and Sybil had sniffed a few times while her mate spoke for her.

"I-I think I know how you can find out why Iris is not waking up. I-I... When my father was alive, he taught me a spell that could help someone to dive into people's minds to help them overcome traumas, and he told me that healers used that to help people in ancient times and... And I think if I can teach it to you, you can visit Iris in her mind and see why she isn't waking up despite the success of your spell." Kahlan muttered in a small voice, her teary eyes on Iris, and when Azure nodded quickly; she taught them the spell.

"Whatever you do, do not interact with anyone but Iris, especially if you see yourself, unless she lets you or you will damage her mind. Oh, and if you wish to leave just repeat the spell backward three times." Kahlan had warned, a deep blush sprinkled on her cheeks, and Sybil had given her a small smile while Azure nodded thankfully.