𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 : 𝕋𝔼𝔸ℝ𝕊

“ 𝑇𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝒉𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝑏𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑛

“ 𝑇𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝒉𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝑏𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑛.”

.

𝐒𝐄𝐂  𝟎𝟏

“ There he is,” Wendy muttered under her breath. Her target number was 88. All she had to do was get his tag.

When she had got to see her target number, surprisingly she knew who it was—man in his thirties, looked like a drunk, a bit off his head, in dirty rags. Wendy thought it would be easy because he seemed off his senses but then even if he looks like that, no one can argue he made it till the fourth phase, all on his own.

So she tailed him from the start. It was hard considering her turn to go was near to the end while his was towards the beginning. She remembered his scent and followed it. It was all she could depend on. But relief flooded her mind when she finally found him drinking nonchalantly by a rill.

She expected him to lose consciousness by now. What she didn't expect was contestant 301 to jump into the scene from literally nowhere and kill the man with zero hesitation.

“ Oh no,” Wendy jumped back and hid two trees back behind the bushes to increase the distance.

She could feel her heartbeat accelerate.

Tag 301 that is Gittarackur. He's a weird one. It creeped her to see all those needles sticking out of his face. Now she needed a new plan. Gittarackur took the dead man's tag and stared at it.

The next moment a needle went past her eyes. “ What ?” She looked behind her to see the needle sticking out of the tree behind.

“ I missed.”

She heard the voice very close and found Gittarackur walking towards her. Her instincts told her to run. But she knew, one more step and she's a goner. So she kept her calm and went with the flow.

“ Hm. I know you.” He walked past her and took out the needle from the trunk.“ Tag 406, a weird catch. Are you human ?”

There's that. Again.

She was tired of hearing the same thing over and over. “Yes.” Wendy looked at him and saw him observing her almost like she was a completely different creature. It grew on her nerves. But she wasn't the type to lose her calm so easily. So instead of barking at him, she just stared back at him with vigilant gaze.

“ Why so angry ?” He said taking out the tag he had just acquired and waving it in front of her.“ You want this, right ? I have no need of it, anyway.”

“ I don't want you to give me that,” Wendy said getting up. She wiped the sweat trails that had trickled down her face.“ I'll take it myself.”

“ Hm ? Sorry but I'm in no mood to waste my time on you.” He went near her and stared into her eyes and for a second Wendy felt as if they were not his real ones. It seemed just so dead and hollow from the inside. This person is really good with his emotions. She couldn't tell what he was thinking just by his face.“But I will make it hard for you.”