Chapter Nine

I was driving over to Louis’s place. I hadn’t slept all night. I was exhausted. I was listening to Diamonds by Rihanna. It was a really nice song. It made me think of Louis. He was like a diamond to me. He was beautiful. It also distracted me from the pit I felt in my stomach. You know that feeling you have where you feel like something bad will happen today? Well, that’s what I’m feeling right now. I have a really bad feeling that something bad will happen today. I know it. Maybe Louis will be possessed today. No. I can’t think like that. I can not! 

I arrive at Louis’s flat at around 10:00 am. I yawn, rub my eyes and go inside. All the boys and Cali are sitting on the couch, staring at the black TV.

“You know, watching TV would be more fun if you turned it on.” I say sarcastically. They all look at me and smile. Niall’s cheeks are puffy and full of food. Of course. I laugh at him and join the boys. We sit around for a bit in silence.

“Hey, you guys want to play…” Louis starts off.

“If you say truth or dare I’ll scream.” Niall interrupts. Louis rolls his eyes.

“I was going to say 20 questions.” Louis finishes. We all nod in agreement and start to play. Harry asks Zayn first. Then Liam asks Niall. Then Cali asks Louis. I laugh at some of their answers. Then they go to me.

“Okay, ready Alexis?” Louis asks.

“Bring it!” I say confidently.

“Full name?”

“Alexis Marie Mason.”

“Favorite color?” 

“Pink.” 

“Favorite thing to do?”

“Sing and hang out with my boyfriend and friends.”

“How did you get a black eye?”

“Ran into a pole.”

“Are you telling the truth?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?” 

“Yes. Now ask me something different.”

“Are you adopted?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so. Why are you asking?”

“Just curious. What’s your favorite band besides us?”

“Not sure. One of them is Little Mix.” 

“Okay. Are you keeping something from me?” 

My heart literally stops. He just asked if I was keeping secrets from him. If I were forced to tell the truth right now, I’d say yes. Well, he was probably going to ask me eventually. I don’t look at his eyes when I answer, or else the truth might come out.

“No.” I lie again. I’m lying all the time now.

“Are you sure?” he asks me, not seeming convinced.

“I’m one hundred percent sure.”

“Really?” 

“Louis, enough! I’m telling you the honest to god truth! LEAVE ME ALONE!” I shout at him. He rolls his eyes and stops asking me question. We end the game at that. We just watch TV for a while, then Niall gets up and straightens his shirt.

“I’ll be right back. I’m going to the washroom.” He says. He heads upstairs and we watch him.

I look up. Everyone is staring at me. Even Cali. But she doesn’t stare at me with confusion. She stares at me with empathy. She knows it’s hard for me. She knows me better than anyone else. Even more than mom and dad. Even more than Sam and Dean.