Entry 26: Together

Entry 26: Together

The villagers gathered around the Hokage tower, looking up as Sasuke stood side by side with Yukine and Hinata. They looked at each other nervously, Yukine playing with the hem of his shirt. If he was being honest, he's never been in a war even though he was alive during the Fourth Shinobi War. This time, he'll be taking part instead of being in a shelter while other ninjas fought.

The hubbub of everyone filled his ears even as he stood on top of the tall building. Sasuke raised his arms to silence them.

"Konoha." His voice was amplified, being heard from across the village. "I regret to inform you that Suna has declared war."

The villagers all looked at each other before shouts of outrage filled the ear. They were mad, this was the village housing run away Konoha residents that was declaring war on Konoha itself. They raised their fists in anger, asking for a reason.

"They've been waiting for who knows how long, now they want to attack because we have Hinata Hyuga."

She put her head down in apology, but never expected to hear the villagers get angry, not at her but at Suna.

"Lady Hinata did nothing wrong!" They chorused, "we will protect her."

Although she ignored it whenever she walked around the village, it was only now did she realize that the love and care people showed her wasn't because she was new, but because they regarded her as Sasuke's right hand. The first woman to the Hokage.

She glanced at Sasuke who was watching her from the corner of his eye, he nodded at her. She straightened her posture and watched everyone. If they saw her as a figure in power, if they looked to her for strength just as they did with Sasuke, then she will do just that.

"We do not know when they will attack, it may be tomorrow, or next month. We will train, all ninjas would gather, civilians will be shown the evacuation route to safety. I put Konoha in danger, and I will protect it." She said, receiving praise from the people below.

"Every ninja, chūnin and above, meet me in my office. You may all resume your duties." Sasuke instructed, dismissing everyone that gathered.

They watched as the people slowly walked to their homes, no doubt talking about the upcoming war once again. Sasuke turned to the two people at his side, and motioned to the stairs so they can sit to talk in the Hokage office before the other ninjas showed up as instructed.

"Yukine, I'll have you stay with the civilians and make sure everyone is safe inside the evacuation shelters. I can't risk harming them and putting you on the front lines." Sasuke sat in his chair and rested his arms on the desk, his hands folded in front of his face as he thought.

"I can fight! I can help, I promise." Yukine jumped to answer, his eyes pleading.

"I'm not telling you this because I don't think you can, I'm putting you in charge of their safety. You need to be their strength when neither Hinata or myself are there."

He stepped back and nodded, "alright, but what would you do?"

"Traps need to be set up outside the wall in case of an unplanned ambush. I will be overseeing the training of the ninjas, Hinata—"

"I will gather all supplies and put everything in order, I'll also monitor the ins and outs of those in the village. I'm knowledgeable about certain fighting styles of Suna ninjas, I can write them down so you can train Konoha as you see fit." She was already thinking ahead of him, which he secretly appreciated.

His exterior was calm but on the inside, Sasuke had an uneasy feeling. He's never planned a war battle plan even though he's taken part in the worst one born to man. He had no clue how to protect the village without destroying part of, if not all of it.