Fifty-five:

Fifty-five:

"No." Zoya was already on her fifth glass of champagne when Jesper and Wylan found her. She was out on one of the balconies of The Little Palace, trying to not to obsess over Nikolai the whole night. "Whatever it is, no until the end of eternity. I stole a whole plate of mushroom caps and I am buzzed."

"This is the scariest person you know?" Wylan said hesitantly. "I know Zoya's scary, but she's not exactly The Godfather."

"I could be." Zoya grinned. "However, I don't like blood on my fancy designer clothes. Why have you two come to bug me? Why are you two here at all?"

"You don't know about the plan?" Jesper said.

"What plan?" Zoya asked.

"The plan to lock The Starkess Saint in The Darkling."

"The what?"

"Come with us," said Jesper, "we've got a lot to discuss, and it concerns Aleksander and Alina. I thought he would have told you."

"To be completely honest, he might have. However, I have spent much of the past twenty-four hours doing things that aren't entirely legal because I have to work for the bastard. So, what's happened now?"

Jesper took a deep breath. "That's what we're trying to figure out. Wy?"

Wylan raised an eyebrow. "What are you looking at me for?"

"I have a buzz. I don't think I should try to explain this complicated web of magic and lies. At least not until the room stops spinning a bit." Jesper blinked.

Wylan sighed. "Alright, you two drunkards. Let's get you sober and I'll try to make sense of everything that's going on."