Chapter 18

In Seoul the next morning, After several days of relentless rain due to bad weather in the city.

"Have you been eating properly?" Mrs. Manoban inquired, her voice tinged with concern, as she spoke to her daughter over the phone.

"Yes, Mom, I've been eating well, so don't worry," Lisa replied, her voice sounding colder than usual.

"When you come home, I'll cook your favorite dishes. What have you been eating there?"

"It's okay, Mom. There are plenty of Thai restaurants here."

"Really? That's a relief. So, when are you coming back?"

"It's taking longer than expected, so I'm not sure. It might be a while."

"I understand. It must be tough for you."

"Mom?"

Lisa's voice quivered, hinting at something deeper she wanted to share.

"Yes? What is it?"

"Nothing, Mom."

"All right. Just promise me you won't skip meals and remember to dress warmly, okay?"

After her conversation with her mother, Lisa ended the call and promptly exited her car upon reaching the construction site. She headed directly to the quarters to retrieve her safety gear before proceeding to the top of the building. To reach the upper levels, she used a construction lift hoist, a vertical transport device designed for moving passengers and materials on a construction site.

As the lift ascended, Lisa gazed out at the cityscape, her mind clouded with thoughts. She could hear the faint echoes of her mother’s voice, the concern and love evident in every word. It brought a pang of homesickness and a longing for simpler times.

Arriving at the top, Lisa encountered a group of workers engaged in a heated argument.

"Sir, the planks are wet. It's been raining for a week," one worker voiced concern.

"No, the planks aren't wet!" the man in charge argued back.

"I won't set up the scaffolding with these planks," another worker asserted firmly.

"Do you understand the costs for each day of this construction site?" The foreman, asserting his authority, continued, "Maybe you forgot that I am the foreman here. Whether you like it or not, you have to follow my orders. Now, get to work!"

Lisa intervened, inquiring about the situation, which drew their attention.

"What's going on here?" she questioned.

The workers turned their heads down as the foreman replied, "Architect! These workers have been doing nothing but complaining."

Lisa reviewed the situation and looked at the workers who were still avoiding eye contact.

"I'm sorry, Architect," one worker spoke up, "but it's been raining for a week, and the planks are soaking wet. He insists on setting up the scaffolding, and I refuse."

"He's exaggerating, Architect. There's no such thing. I checked it; the planks are bone dry—"

The foreman's rant was abruptly cut off as a large board was thrown in front of them.

"Look and see if they're dry?!" a voice from behind interrupted. A man approached, chewing gum nonchalantly, and took off his hard helmet. "I can't risk anyone's life here," he declared, addressing the foreman directly. He then turned to Lisa with an apologetic glance. "Architect, the planks are still wet. They won't safely support a worker."