She's Here!

21st March 2022

Abhimanyu

"Hi Dr. Abhimanyu, this was your last appointment of the day.
I've cleared your schedule for the rest of the day for your visit to the Sunshine NGO for Blind Kids" Natasha, Abhimanyu's assistant intern says.

"Natasha, you're an intern in my team, not my assistant..." Abhimanyu replies irritatedly.

*For the past three months, Abhimanyu had tried every tactic to make Natasha understand that he wasn't interested in her...

Despite all his efforts, she continued with her not-so-subtle attempts at being close to him.

She was a capable doctor, no doubt...she rarely missed any deadlines, was extremely professional as far as everything else was concerned...but she had this weird obsession with Abhimanyu...

Well, who didn't? Dr. Abhimanyu Birla was the best cardiologist in not just Birla Hospital but the entire city.

And if being the best at your profession wasn't enough, he was gifted with the looks of a Greek God.

There were times when women randomly took appointments at the Birla Hospital only to meet him...but he would just send the interns in his place and them women would return back disappointed.

But such was Dr. Abhimanyu...
He had been a quiet, reserved person for most of his life...

Most of his life except for those 3 days that changed his life... Three days where for the first time ever, he found the home he was looking for...

But when those three days ended, they took away all his dreams, his hope and his home...

xx

Akshara

"Udaipur! Finally I'm here. I always wanted to visit this place once in my life...

You know bhaiyya, I've travelled to a lot of places, a lot of them, trust me." Akshara keeps blabbering on and on while the cab driver wonders how someone can talk so much!

"So like I was saying bhaiyya, I have travelled to a lot of places... But Udaipur feels different..." She smiles.

"Where is your home madam?" The can driver finally gets the chance to talk...

*But in return, he receives no reply...*

"Madam, where is your home?" He tries again.

"Umm...I - I don't have a home" she mutters under her breath.

"How's that possible?" The cab driver continues.

"Umm...bhaiyya please drive fast" Akshara says, effectively ending the conversation.

I don't have a home. I have nobody. And I need nobody. Akshara chants in her mind. Again and again.

xx

Abhimanyu

"Abhi, let's go" Sneha enters Abhimanyu's cabin and says.

"Where Sneha? I can't. I have to go to-"

"Sunshine NGO. I know. Manjari maa told me." Sneha smiles.

"You need to stop talking to my mother so much" Abhi laughs and walks out of the cabin with her.

"Haha. Very funny. Abhi, we've been best friends for 16 years...

And since Day 1, I've been your mom's favourite. So much that she's become my mom too...

Especially since I don't have my mom to-"

"Sneha, maa is your mom too. She accepted that fact long ago. We all have, infact. So now cheer up, let's go!"

------------------------------------------------------

*As Abhimanyu and Sneha reach the NGO, they meet the manager of the place*

"Hello Dr. Abhimanyu, Hello ma'am!"
He smiles. "I'm so honoured that a prestigious hospital chain like the Birlas have decided to tie up with a small NGO like ours... "

"It's our moral duty, sir" Abhimanyu replies calmly.

"As soon as this announcement was made, we've had so many volunteer doctors... When they got to know that the top 3 volunteers will get an internship offer with your hospital, we've had hundreds of registrations" the manager beamed with happiness.

"Yeah, but first let's meet the kids" Abhimanyu says.

"Sir, they're all right there in the garden" the manager points towards a lush green garden.

"We'll go on our own, thankyou sir" Sneha smiles.

*Suddenly, the sound of a sweet laughter grabs Abhimanyu's attention*

This laugh. No. No, it can't be. It just can't.

*But as the laughter continues, Abhimanyu starts getting restless*

She can't. No. I'm hallucinating again. This is just a day dream. Enough Abhi.

*As Abhi follows the sound, he reaches the centre of the garden... He looks around and sees a number of kids accompanied by volunteer doctors...

But she's nowhere to be seen. He looks again to confirm his doubts but finds her nowhere.*

See, she's not here. She won't ever be. Stop chasing a nameless image Abhimanyu. It's been over a year now. Enough. Control yourself.

"Excuse me, sir. You need to sign some paper work. Can you please come with me?" A woman from the NGO says to Abhi.

*Abhi looks at Sneha and as she nods towards him, he accompanies the lady into the office, leaving Sneha with the kids...*

The lady leads him to the main office
"Sir, Mr. Das is waiting for you inside..."

*As Abhi enters the office, he sees Mr. Das talking to a girl whose back is towards Abhi...*

"Thankyou sir" the girl says.

No. No. No. She can't be-

*Just then, the girl gets up and turns and comes face to face with Abhimanyu...

Abhimanyu cannot believe his eyes. He cannot believe that the one person he was looking for endlessly in every corner of every room, is standing here in front of him...

Tears well up in his eyes and he tries to find the right words...*

"You- you" he mumbles.

*The girl looks at him with an equally shocked expression...

Just then, Mr. Das speaks up*

"Dr. Abhimanyu Birla... welcome, welcome!" He moves forward to shake Abhimanyu's hand.

*That's when the girl is brought back to attention and without sparing another glance, she runs out of the room*

It was her. She is really here. I'm not dreaming. Oh God, she's here!

Author's note: Hi guys, welcome back!!

Hope you liked the first chapter. Do share your valuable feedback through the comments.

Let's go!