Unsuspected reunion

"Why in the world would my brother stab you?" I asked him. He looked around nervously and started backing up towards the door. "Oh, come on, it can't be that bad, just tell me James." I said. When he had finally backed up all the way to the door he opened it and bolted out of my room. I sighed and closed the door not bothering to chase him. It was obvious that he wasn't going to tell me and I knew that my brother wasn't going to tell either. I sat down on my bed and, grabbed one of my knives off of the nightstand that's beside my bed and started at it as I turned it over in my hands. Everything would be so much easier if I wasn't alive. Why couldn't the 'program' just kill me when they first brought me in like they did to all of the other girls? It would've saved a lot of people their lives and the world would be a much better place without me. I pressed the tip of the knife into my index finger on my left hand just enough so that I drew blood. I pulled the knife away from my finger and watched as the blood dripped slowly down my finger and into my palm. It was as if my mind and body were in a trance as the deep crimson liquid pooled in the palm of my hand.

    A knock on the door snapped me out of my trance-like state. "Just a minute!" I hollered. I quickly got up and ran into my bathroom. I washed all of the blood off of my hand and put a band-aid on my finger. I ran back into my room and over to the door. When I opened it I was faced with James. Blood was on his hands, arms, and his shirt. "Oh my goodness what happened to you?" I asked pulling him through my room into my bathroom. I motioned for him to sit on the counter while I got out the firt-aid kit.

    "I felt bad about keeping something from you so...I kind of...cut my hands and part of my arms. I just hate to keep things from you and wanted to hurt myself like I hurt you." He explained. I shook my head and started to clean his wounds. After I cleaned and bandaged him I put up my first-aid kit and walked back into my room.

    "You shouldn't have hurt yourself because of me, I'm a big girl and I can handle it. When you get hurt it hurts me even more." I told him and grabbed the knife from my nightstand again. It still had some of my blood on it and it was starting to dry. I walked back into my bathroom so that I could wash it. When I finished washing it I dried it so that it wouldn't rust and walked into my bedroom.

    "Skylar, are you mad at me?" James asked. I looked up at him and sighed. I shook my head no and hugged him. He hugged me back tightly and we pulled apart. "I should really get going." He said and I nodded.

    "Please don't hurt yourself again because of me." I pleaded. He nodded and walked out closing the door behind him.

    After a while my hands started to itch meaning that I really needed to fight. I got dressed in my fight clothes and headed out of my room. Even though it was daylight I knew that if I went to a bar dressed in a sports bra and spandex shorts that I could punch at least one guy that's drunk and tries to do something to me.

    Just when I was about to head out the front door Brad walked down the stairs and yelled after me, "Where do you think you're going dressed like that?"

    I rolled my eyes and turned to look at him. "I'm going out, I'll be back later. Don't worry, you know that I can take care of myself." I told him while rolling my eyes again.

    "Yeah, but you're still my little sister. I'm supposed to protect you and I haven't been doing a very good job of that. You have a scar on your face that I don't know where it came from, you have other scars on you body, and you fight grown men for money. It seems to me that you're the one capable of doing the protecting and not me. Well, it's not like I'm doing a good job, like I said." He told me.

    A sad smile made its way onto my face and I walked over to him wrapping him in a big hug. "I'll always need you; you're my big brother. However, I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." I whispered in his ear.