ʏɢ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴᴍᴇɴᴛ

The building had a peculiar shape.

It was very different from any of the houses and buildings around it. It was a tall building made of grey solid stone, but one of the sides was rounded and formed a curved roof up to the sky. Drawn glass windows stretched from the first floor to the top, barely hinting at the people to be found on each floor. Green fir trees lined the roof, adding colour to the drab building. Surprised, I glanced alternately from the named address on my phone to the oddly shaped building.

397-5 Hapjeong-dong

Mapo-gu

I breathed in and out deeply.

My legs moved of their own accord while my eyes were fixed rigidly on the building. With a glance to either side, I jogged across the street and followed the path until I finally stood in front of the entrance. Car parks lined the perimeter of the building, providing space for the multitude of cars that occupied them. Scattered people stood near me, casting glances at the building now and then and flinching when someone moved inside.

Fans.

I pulled my coat tighter around me and buttoned the first buttons of my jacket down to under my chin, making an effort to hide it under my jacket. Inwardly I scolded myself, for my white-blond hair fell far down my chest and was by no means inconspicuous. I hadn't thought of hiding it under a cap. I lowered my head and walked with quick steps towards the entrance, well aware of the many stares. My cheeks warmed and a little later I reached the counter.

"How can I help you?" asked the security in a friendly manner, looking at me curiously from top to bottom. Slowly I stepped closer and took my ID card out of my pocket.

"I was told to report to you here," I explained in Korean, my voice trembling slightly. I handed him my ID before the security guard began to examine it thoroughly. Slowly, he typed my name into his system and handed the ID back to me only a few minutes later with a satisfied smile. The glass doors opened sweepingly.

"You can wait on the first floor near the cafeteria. Someone will come to pick you up." the man said, pointing to the lift. I gave the man a friendly smile and bowed.

"Gamsahamnida.".

I pressed the button for the lift and the doors burst open. Black metal welcomed me and shone under the light of the lamps. As soon as I entered, the doors closed silently behind me, taking me to the first floor of the building with the push of a button. I unbuttoned my coat again and placed the handles of my bag over one of my forearms before stepping carefully out of the lift. Wide-eyed, I looked around. The hallway was empty, but I could sense loud voices at the other end. Laughter followed shortly after. My stomach rumbled and the excitement, coupled with nervousness, steadily increased with each step. The left side was completely covered with dark blue almost black wood, contrasting nicely with the light floor and light wood sections on the opposite side. Two large rooms were divided to my right and I caught a glimpse. In one of the two rooms, young Korean boys were dancing, while in the other, boys and girls were equally mixed. I averted my eyes and a short while later I was standing in an open large room with many tables and chairs. Staff were still sitting at some of them, talking to each other. The smell of roasting meat and vegetables reached my nose and made my stomach growl with pleasure. I ignored it and my grey eyes searched for a familiar face among the few people inside the cafeteria. However, their interest seemed to be more on the food and their conversation partners, so I unceremoniously retreated to the corridor outside the cafeteria.

My back was leaning against the dark wood of the wall when soft music suddenly sounded in one of the rooms opposite. Curious, I looked to both sides of the corridor and finally stepped closer to the door. A small window made of soundproof glass was placed in the middle of the door and let me catch a glimpse of the inside of the room. The laminate shone under the bright light of the lamps. A large long mirror stretched from one end of the wall to the next, making video recording possible at every angle. My attention, however, was instantly focused on five girls in coordinated outfits standing in front of the large mirror. They briefly formed a circle before lining up one behind the other and switching their bodies from relaxed to highly focused. The music started and was inhibited by the soundproof door as the girls began to dance together. Impressed, I took a step closer and almost pressed my face against the window. Their movements matched the music, their bodies moving, making the process look like child's play from the outside.

"They'll probably debut soon." someone said behind me and I turned around with a jerk. Kwon Ji-yong, or G-Dragon, stood behind me, his dark eyes alternating between me and the group of girls. Slowly he stepped closer and stopped beside me. Together we peered into the room through the small window.

"How long have they been training together?" I asked curiously.

"Each one of them...about three to six years." the dark-haired Korean replied, looking at the girls, and my eyes widened at the number of years. He smiled broadly when he saw my expression and leaned against the door.

"In the life of a future idol, it is not unusual to train for many years until you can debut. Of course...there are exceptions, but that is rarely the case. Some don't debut at all.".

Although his statement made my eyes tear up no less, it did not surprise me. Much like here in school, idol life probably went the same way. But even I could guess the parallels hidden behind the long and hard training of a future idol. Similar to an idol, athletes trained all their lives towards competitions and medals. The pressure and training would not diminish in the event of a victory.

On the contrary.

People were out to do the best they could. Many strove for recognition for their arduous achievements and many of them aimed for more. In the process, they lost sight of the most important thing. Through pressure and strain to achieve big goals, at the end of the day they no longer knew what had excited them at the beginning. They slowly lost the desire and the fun of what they had once loved and enjoyed doing.

"Shall we?" the Korean chipped in, finally getting me to look at him. His body was leaning towards the lift. With a nod, I turned away from the door.

"Of course," I murmured and followed him down the corridor back to the lift.