ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ

I looked sadly at the multi-storey building while Kim Donghae and my father stowed our suitcases in the car. Just like the first day I arrived, it loomed over me. At the time, I thought I would spend the next twelve months in it. Instead, it was reduced to less than three months.

A hand on my shoulder brought me out of my thoughts and I looked into my father's grey eyes.

"Are you alright, dear?" he asked cautiously and I nodded with a brief smile before my gaze fell on my two roommates. My smile slowly faltered and I felt tears welling up in my eyes as I looked at them. Although it had only been a short time together, they had been my biggest support over the past few weeks. They willingly took me in, showed me their country and culture, taught me their language and supported me. They convinced me to take paths that I would never have considered taking on my own. Paths that, after much deliberation and persuasion on their part, I was finally ready to take.

Jihe was the first to pull me into an intimate embrace. Her short hair tickled my cheek as I breathed in her familiar scent.

"You have to tell us everything, Josie!" she said and I gave a short laugh and pulled her closer to me. Ahri stepped closer to us.

"It's not goodbye forever...I mean...we'll see each other at school...and during breaks...in class..." she stammered from herself and I smiled.

"We have a little something for you," said Jihe quietly and Ahri took out a small wrapped box from behind her back. A blue bow held it together. Surprised, I loosened my hug with Jihe and accepted the package before looking at the girls in amazement.

"You didn't...you didn't have to do that. I mean..." I began to stammer as I held the gift with trembling hands. The girls laughed softly. With a reddened face and under the excited expressions of my roommates, I slowly began to untie the blue bow. The cover followed and revealed a white hardback book with a black ribbon to close the contents. The front and back cover of the book was filled and covered with different black quotes or writings. Curious, I ran my fingers over the cursive writings.

"We read that some trainees keep a kind of practice diary to record their progress and learning. That gave us the idea for the gift. If you have the time or find it, you can record your thoughts and feelings in this book at any time," Ahri explained to me.

"And at the same time, they will serve as a reminder of your trainee days and what you experienced for...later times," added Jihe. I averted my eyes from the book and raised my head.

"Gomapseumnida...to both of you." I almost whispered while the girls could only smile.

"No...I mean...for everything. For everything you've done for me these past few weeks.". My eyes were burning and I tried to control the tears by blinking more. I met their eyes and could see that even they were struggling with the tears. I just shook my head and closed the last few feet between us before pulling them both into a deep hug. Her arms reached around my body one more time, pulling the three of us closer together.

"We have to go slowly, little one." my father interrupted us quietly after a while and I began to pull my arms away from Jihe and Ahri. Both girls had shining cheeks and were struggling to hold back their remaining tears. Jihe carefully wiped her fingers under her eyes and then adjusted her glasses. Ahri's black hair was slightly dishevelled and she made a valiant effort to smile. Almost as if in slow motion, I walked backwards to our black car, still holding the gift tightly in my hands, and finally got in.

The door was closed behind me.

Ahri and Jihe stepped closer to our car and started waving their hands. I gave them both a sad smile and also waved through the glass until the car started to move. I turned my head to the rear window and watched with my hand still waving as my friends got smaller and smaller. The car turned onto the road and the two Korean girls disappeared from my field of vision. I let myself slide back into the seat, only peripherally realising that my father had grabbed my hand and was squeezing it tightly. I gave him a grateful look, which he returned with a reassuring smile.

"You'll be able to see her at school, Josie," he said, stroking my hand with his thumb. I just nodded and turned my gaze out the window. Although that one sentence was true, inside I was overcome with fear.

My roommates had been my contacts since my stay in South Korea. They were my support in difficult situations. But now I was being thrown like a beginner into ice-cold water. Into a world that was still completely unknown to me.

The building was very different from the high-rise in which I had lived only a short time ago. It was different even from the unusually shaped entertainment building. It was plain and flat, just like the rest of the buildings in the area. It was grey and had a brick-like exterior. Apart from the three storeys, the only striking feature was the large windows. The accommodation was in Hapjeong-dong and not far from my former accommodation. Just a short drive by car.

We pulled into the building's car park as a tall young woman stepped out of the shadows of the building. Kim Donghae steered the car just a few metres beside her and stopped. Curious, I glanced at the woman. She wore a black blazer over her blouse and her hair shone up brown in the sun. In her hand was a collection of papers.

She waved briefly in the direction of our driver and finally opened the door of our car.

"Welcome to YG Entertainment," she said.