ᴇxᴀᴍɪɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ

My knee-high boots squeaked slightly under the smooth, polished surface of the floor.

The white stapled sheets of paper lay concealed in the centre of our tables, preventing any premature insight into this year's exams. Our pens and other textile utensils were sorted and within easy reach of our hands, which began to tremble more and more under the clock's continuous ticking and the start of exam day.

"Creativity, activity, service... are at the heart of this programme."

I rested my chin on my intertwined, nervously wiggling fingers and watched the short-haired Korean carefully, his serious voice reaching loud and clear into every corner of the silent classroom.

"A programme that will lead you to the award of the International Baccalaureate Diploma and which can be recognised by other leading universities around the world," he added, his narrowed eyes floating around the classroom, fleetingly taking in everyone within the room.

"We are well aware of your tension and the pressure you are under today..." he continued, a small hint of sympathy flitting across his features before they once again turned into a mask of apathy.

"...but, as the French writer, philosopher, constitutional lawyer and historian Charles-Louis de Montesquieu also recognised, success is generally based on knowing how much time is needed to succeed."

"In other words... it would help if you had confidence in your months of preparation, accumulated experience and, above all, in your own abilities to achieve your set goals and various needs." he finished his sentence and nodded unobtrusively to his accompanying co-examiner at his side.

"Although you are certainly aware of the rules... we would like to remind you once again that your mobile phones, other electronic communication devices, or other such equipment are prohibited during the examinations. Failure to comply with this rule will be regarded as a serious attempt to cheat and will result in disqualification from the examination and/or all other examinations. Your examinations will, therefore, be considered failed, and your intended degree will be declared invalid," the second invigilator explained in a monotone and came to the fore, his eyes moving just as quickly, looking for any hesitation or noticeable movements.

After a few seconds, he nodded in agreement.

"All right... your first exam will start in a few minutes and end at around 10 o'clock. Your break times, except for the lunch break, are all 20 minutes, so you have enough time to find your respective rooms and register for the next written exam," he explained, pointing to the desks set up to the side, which briefly functioned as registration desks during the exam times.

"All multiple-choice questions must be marked with a pencil, and pay particular attention to the correct indication of your first and last names, as well as your personal identification number in the fields provided on each of your sheets so that there can be no confusion," he said, pointing to the outlined boxes at the top of the sheet using a sample copy.

"Without any complications or interruptions, your exams will be finished after nine hours," he said after completing his instructions and taking a quick look at the clock.

"We wish you good luck and success..." he began, and our eyes followed the second hand. We were approaching the round and the number 12 with great mental strides.

"...and you may begin.".

I turned the pages and took a deep breath.

Exhaling deeply, I looked over the bright façade of the multi-storey school building, which allowed a more profound insight behind the walls through the many glazed windows and switched-on lights. The corridors and classrooms of the preschool and primary school children, in particular, shone in many different colours and works of art, covering up the dreary dullness and offering sufficient variety and interest in the school's learning and knowledge.

I carefully loosened the knot of my red and blue tie, so it fell loosely over my clean white shirt.

"It's still hard to realise that our exams are over and that we'll be graduating from school and studying at accredited universities in just a few months," said Jihe, next to me, adjusting her black glasses. Her short brown hair swirled under the light breeze of the dusk that had already arrived. She followed some groups of students, who were talking with relief as they left the school campus.

I followed her gaze, and a feeling of melancholy spread through my chest as I watched the gathered parents and other relatives receive their exhausted and happy children outside the entrances, presumably treating them to a well-balanced dinner at home or out as a reward.

"Have you contacted the girls and your parents yet?" Ahri asked me cautiously, her eyes following the excited crowd of students and parents. Their excitement and joy at surviving the day resounded loudly across the grounds.

"I just sent a quick message to the girls after the exam...and I probably won't be able to call my parents until I get back home," I sighed to the black-haired Korean girl as the thick fabric of my schoolbag began to vibrate several times under my supporting arms.

"Yeoboseyo," I said, and the cold surface of my screen settled over my cheek.

"Annyeonghaseyo...are your exams over?" my manager asked, and I exchanged glances with my two former flatmates.

"Yes, I'm about to leave the school grounds," I replied and immediately got up from the white bench. It stood in the centre of two medium-sized trees at the side of the main building and offered enough shade and protection from the blazing heat and sun on hot summer days. I straightened my grey-blue checked knee-length skirt, grabbed my school bag, and stepped out of the privacy of the square.

"Alright...I'll wait for you outside the school grounds, Josie." I heard Lim Myung-ok say on the other end of the line while Ahri and Jihe slowly came to my side with their bags shouldered.

"Najunge bwayo," I replied in farewell, and the phone then disappeared into the depths of my remaining exam and school papers between my pens and my now empty thermos flask.

"You have to go...?" Jihe asked me, although her question was tantamount to a statement. I nodded languidly in her direction before we plunged into the sea of students left behind, following them along the cobbled pavements to the school's exits.