✔Chapter 8 // Understanding

His voice was low and he never found out if she heard it. Daniel was talking with two men in front of the house with the dollar blinking sign. He smiled widely when he saw them, moving towards them immediately.

"Great seeing you!" He greeted, opening his arms in a welcoming gesture.

"You too," Leah said, formally. "We were wondering if we could ask you something." He signaled for them to move away from the other guys and they did. "You mentioned radio communication. We were wondering if you have a system to listen to them," Leah asked a pensive Daniel.

"No," he seemed sad to be disappointing them. "Unfortunately, even when we manage to get our hands on radios, eventually they change the frequency. It's a fulltime job to manage it and it's rare we get our hands on any. Our last one broke a while ago."

"How do you get information, then?" Jungkook asked.

Daniel tilted his head left and right. "We have contacts. People that work with or for the pirates, but that tell us things. We hear rumors." He lowered his voice. "There are people that give their lives to the cause in other ways, other than fighting." Leah glanced at Jungkook. "Anyway, if we hear something about your friends, I'll tell you."

"Thank you," Jungkook said, trying to be content with that.

"They're probably being held somewhere, so as long as they don't move them, we won't hear about it." Daniel seemed disappointed to tell them that, but Jungkook took a deep breath and nodded. It was to be expected.

"But still, I must insist." Leah stepped in, crossing her arms in front of her chest. Daniel looked at her with interest. "Is there a way we could get a radio? Buy it or some other way?"

He scratched his chin, "I don't know..."

"Could we steal one?" Jungkook suggested, feeling a bad taste in his mouth.

Daniel looked at him with a cunning smile, "Probably."

Jungkook nodded, trying to ignore the bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"Where could we find one?" Leah asked. To her it was all about concrete information. Only that way they could build a plan and go somewhere.

Daniel scratched his chin again, thinking. "Well... I suppose some outposts should have them."

"Outposts?"

"Yes, like camps in strategic positions that they use to control the roads. They must communicate somehow." He went back to thinking. "Hm... I suppose boats have them too. Then their strongholds and camps." Leah felt discouraged but didn't say anything. "I guess some cars should have them too, if you're lucky enough."

Leah was staring at the floor, evaluating their options. Jungkook expressed himself first.

"How easy would it be to steal from any of these places?"

Daniel took a deep breath, as if trying to find a way to convey bad news.

"Honestly, for you two, near impossible." He observed them both with enigmatic eyes. "You're not ready," he said, shaking his head. "Not to mention the cartel's men are armed and drugged or drunk most of the time, and they shoot to kill. Otherwise, if you get caught, you'll be sold or worse."

Leah was shaking her head, shocked with everything he said. She knew of it, but that was a grimmer picture than she dared to imagine.

"What do you suggest we do?" Jungkook asked, turning to Daniel completely. He was in need of solutions and he was open to ideas.

Daniel smiled and looked at him with intent. "You need to learn about the jungle, how to navigate it, how to stand in it at all times. How to take advantage of it." He raised his arms, exposing his tattoos that alluded to the jungle. They didn't have time to thoroughly observe them. "And you need to learn how to fight." Jungkook frowned and Leah took a step back. Daniel raised his hands in the air. "If not to become warriors, at least to defend yourselves. So that you don't get caught."