Chapter 18

Since Tatum had a client in a little bit he hadn't brought his car here, which I knew meant I was going to order a car home. He decided to mention it, offering to order me a car himself. "Oh thank you, but you don't have to do that" I waved it off. I jumped when Dom's deep voice interrupted from behind me. I didn't know he was standing so close. It made me straighten my spine. "I'll drive her home," he told Tatum, not me. I whirled around and shook my head no. "I'm all set" I turned it down. 

"I'll drive her home" Dom again addressed Tatum, ignoring me. Tate chuckled and came over to give me a hug goodbye. "I'll see you Wednesday" he rubbed my arm before walking off. That left a tense atmosphere between me and the man I was actively avoiding. 

When all he did was look down at me I rambled out the first thing I could think of. "I'm not going home. I'm going shopping," I figured he wouldn't wanna stick around for that. "Shopping?" He arched a dark brow at me. Challenging me. "Yup." I stuck with it. "Lovely, I'll come along" he stumped me. I opened and shut my mouth. How do I get out of this?

        "You sure? It's going to be long and boring" I fidgeted with my hands and looked at everything but him. "You must have a lot of money if you'll be shopping for so long" he called my bluff. Shoot. "I have enough" I lied. "Why were you with him?" Dom changed the subject so quickly it gave me pause. "Tatum?" Dom gave me one curt nod as he always does. His face was pressed into hard lines. Why that expression? "He asked me to lunch" I shrugged, not understanding why he'd even ask that. "And do you make a habit of dining with your boss?" I felt like he was calling me out for something, and I didn't like it. I scowled. 

"It's not like that at BlackHeart. We're all chill with each other. Why am I even explaining myself to you!? I have to go" I huffed, ready to stomp away. "Shopping" he repeated. "Yes shopping!" He was flustering me. 

        When I started walking, so did he. What game is he playing here? When I stopped after we'd crossed the road, he stopped too, putting his hands into his pockets like he was waiting for something. "Why are you following me?" I couldn't look him in the face for more than two seconds without being humiliated for what happened last weekend. "We're shopping. Then I'll give you that ride home" he pressed on. I decided to call him on his own bluff. I'll go to the shops to see if he'll actually come along with me, or if he'll see I was serious and become disinterested enough to leave. 

I ignored him and walked down to the designer shops I love walking into. It's like crack to me. Of course I had no money for anything at all, but he doesn't need to know that. He just has to believe that I'm going to be taking forever shopping around. 

        The first store I walked into was Salvatore Ferragamo. I started browsing the shoes, walking as slow as possible and picking each one up. The woman who'd been behind the counter came walking over to us. Dom looked like a bodyguard at my back, with a full suit and his hands in his pockets. Because yes he'd tossed the sandwich. He clearly didn't go inside to eat, so I'd like to know why he did. 

"Hello, can I help you with anything today?" The woman sounded cheerful and eager to sell. "I'm just browsing for now. Thank you" I smiled at the woman. She nodded and stepped back. "If you need anything let me know" she concluded before heading back to the register.

I lifted a boot and eyed it over at a leisurely pace. When I felt Dom's body step forward, the heat of him warmed my back and rushed a flush to my cheeks. "Find anything you like?" His voice was a low rumble in my ear. "N-not yet" I tried side stepping him. I really wanted to turn around and confront him. Ask him why he was even here, but I didn't want to cause a scene.

         "Ma'am, if you like those boots let me suggest to you this...the new arrival" the woman returned with a shoe that made my eyes light up. They were ankle boots, all white, with a metal gold heel. "Oh my gosh" I gushed, walking towards them. I could already picture what outfit I would wear them with. "Aren't they beautiful?" the woman smiled. I noticed she had some heels on from this designer. "Try them on then" Dom instigated. I looked between him and the woman knowing he was trying to call my bluff again.