Chapter 71

When I saw a call from my brother I was not expecting to hear him tell me that Domani De Luca, mob boss of the New York Italian mafia, was out driving around like a madman. With a gun in his lap! Looking to murder Simon! I couldn't believe it. 

Elio told me he was serious. I yelled at them to go back to the apartments, but Dom wasn't listening. I can't go back inside to tell Simon to run and hide somewhere. He'd want to know why, and I can't explain to him that a mobster was looking to blow his head off. That's crazy. Dom is crazy. 

I always knew it, but not to this extent. He's pissed because of our fight. Somehow he caught wind about Simon being around, but I have no idea how. Am I being watched? None of this made sense to me. I stayed on the phone with my brother as all this played out, so I could be in the loop. 

        I left the party without saying bye to anyone. If I'm being watched I don't want Dom knowing where I am, figuring out Simon was in fact here with me. We'd been having a good time with everyone, not just ourselves alone. That won't matter to Dom though. He did this when Tatum and I were friends. He beat him in his own tattoo shop. This time he has a gun with him, and I'm not willing to risk that he's just full of shit. He has a bad attitude, he always has, but I won't push his buttons on this.

        I continued to try talking sense into the man, as was my brother. I know Elio's gonna be suspicious, then furious when he realizes Dom's still clearly reacting to men in my life. As far as my brother knew we hadn't been in contact. Dom really screwed us both over when he made it public that he's keeping an eye on me, and mad about me being with other men. He doesn't see me cruising the streets of New York looking for the girl whose tongue was in his mouth last week. What a double standard this is. 

I haven't even touched Simon beyond a friendly way. I posted some photos of us, and it gave me pause now that I think of it. Does Dom have a way of keeping track of my social media page? He doesn't have social media. Maybe he made an account like my father had, pretending to be someone else. Or...Riccardo. Damn him.

        After a lot of yelling and pleading Dom finally agreed to meet back at the apartments. He told me to go up to the penthouse and wait for them, so that's what I did. I was still in my gown from the event, waiting here on this man's couch. If this ends with another fist fight between them...and Elio being mad at me again, I'm gonna really be upset with myself for letting history repeat itself. When I heard the familiar ding of the elevator my nerves started up inside my gut, working its way up to my chest and hands. 

Domani De Luca walked out of the elevator in a dark suit, white dress shirt, and black silk tie. He had leather gloves on his hands, and he wasn't hiding the gun he was openly tucking into a holster right now. Oh my god, he really was going to kill him. I don't even know how to react to this. 

        My brother was in a more relaxed outfit, like maybe he'd been out partying, but not in a suit. Just well dressed. His expression was unreadable, but Dom's was obvious. His dark brows were prominent the way they furrowed inwardly, and his scowl pulled his pink lips down. His shoulders were tense, which made his stance seem larger than it usually is. Looming, intimidating just as he always is.

        "Mia," my brother was the first to address me. "Elio, can I talk to Dom? I know you don't want us alone, but clearly your friend's insane and needs talking to. I don't want you two fighting though. Please?" I asked him calmly. "I don't like this. If I find out something's still going on between you two I swear to god, Mia," my brother spoke the words I feared. "This is about control and you know it, Elio. Just let me talk to him," I gave him pleading eyes. "This is bullshit, man," my brother slapped at the closed elevator door, but pressed the call button to give us some privacy.