Chapter 16

It's been a few weeks now that I've been living in New York. I like my job and my coworkers are honestly my friends now. I've gone out with them on weekends, which gives me something to do aside from sitting in my usually empty apartment. My brother isn't around as much as I would like. We haven't gone anywhere together, but he says I just caught him at a really busy time during work. I figure he'll eventually do as promised. 

Within the past few weeks I've only gotten a few more threats from Kristoff. It's seemed to die down which doesn't even soothe me. It actually makes me more nervous. Why has he stopped? I don't think it's a good thing. I know him well enough to know he wouldn't just drop it. I fear he's going to contact my brother. 

I went as far as using my brother's phone last week to program Kristoff's number, just so I could block it to be sure no messages would come through. That isn't the only way to contact someone though, so if he's determined enough maybe he would get through to him. Maybe he really would send photos of me from the past.

        Since it's a Friday night I'm going out with Tatum, one of Tatum's friends, Cam, and Poppy. It's a bar/ lounge type place, so I decided to wear a sexy red satin slip dress, but dressed it down by throwing on a black leather jacket, and black pointed Christian Louboutin's I had bought with my last 370 dollars from my birthday gift. I rented a black leather Yves Saint Laurent clutch bag, and some silver hoops. I really liked how it all turned out. 

I played up my eyes with a lined upper lid and curled lashes to enhance their foxy shape. I kept a nude lip and some soft blush to brighten my face up. My hair was worn parted in the middle with soft curled ends. 

I was going to be picked up by Tatum, so I was waiting in the living room for a text from him. When I heard the jiggling of the lock I knew my brother was home. I hadn't seen him all day. "Hey" I greeted with a smile. My heels clacking on our floors made an echo sound. Elio stopped to inspect me, and so did the man behind him. My gut clenched when I realized Dom was with him.

        "Wow, all dressed up. Where are you headed?" My brother asked me in passing. "I'm going out with Tatum and that crew" I tried prying my eyes away from Dom, and over to my brother who was putting some of his things down. Domani De Luca looked as delicious as ever in his dark suit and white button down. His collar was pinned down stylishly with a small chain. Those blue eyes are so uniquely blue. You could drown in them if you could handle his intense gaze for that long. Right now they looked more sultry than anything. Is he checking me out? 

Maybe he's looking on disapprovingly. The red dress is a bit short. My legs are displayed this way. His body language didn't give anything away, his blazing eyes did. His posture was relaxed, though he stood in a wide stance waiting there for my brother. I noticed Elio was just grabbing some things and they'd be heading out again. 

My heart skipped a beat as I watched Dom watching me. 

When my phone buzzed I glanced down and saw it was Tatum. "Tell my brother I said bye," I asked the handsome, scary man in front of me. When I motioned to walk past him he eyed my legs as they walked in these gorgeous heels. Then his hand jutted out and stopped me in my place.

        His large rough hand came to my upper arm to stop me from passing him. Leaning his head to angle his mouth closer to my ear he told me in a deep low voice, "That's the kind of dress that bringings nothing but trouble." I wasn't sure if it was a warning, his disapproval, or an observation. I peeked up at him through my lashes, since his hand was still technically holding me beside him. His touch was heating my core. Even one as innocent as this. 

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" My voice came out breathy and affected. Leaning down just a bit more, his breath tickled the shell of my ear when he whispered, "Depends who's bringing the trouble." My insides clenched and I tried to hide the effect he had on me, but to no avail. Without thinking I asked, "Are you 'trouble'?"