thirty - six

╔═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╗
𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗽𝘀
╚═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╝

Kokichi sat on the chair, pulled up to the window. He was gazing out at the night sky above as Shuichi tugged off his jacket to hang it back up in his closet. The dormitory was silent, aside from the ruffling of Shuichi's jacket and cringe-inducing scrape of hangers across the metal rod of the closet.

Kokichi watched the stars pass by with his chin resting in the palm of his hand.

They'd discovered all too much that day. It had been tiring and undoubtedly overwhelming. Shuichi had come to a realisation that he definitely didn't want to come to. There was still more to be discussed, and it would be, in the trial in the morning.

A re-evaluation of Rantaro's murder. After the recovery of a shot-putt ball and motherkuma, along with a multitude of other interesting finds, Shuichi was certain.

Kaede was not a killer.

Kokichi sighed and dropped his eyes shut. He'd been thinking, a lot. Not about the evidence, not about the upcoming trial, not about the possibility of uncovering the mastermind once and for all.

He was thinking about Shuichi.

Kokichi turned in the seat to look over at Shuichi, who was rubbing his face in his hands. He looked so worn down. Kokichi watched him. Shuichi ran his fingers through his hair with a long sigh, his ahoge sticking right back up as soon as his fingers drifted over it.

The room was dim.

The truth was, it wasn't only Shuichi who had been thinking about the letter Kokichi wrote. Kokichi himself had it on his mind, and he was torn. He didn't know whether to pretend like it never happened, and keep running from those dreaded three words, or finally come clean.

Kokichi didn't know how much time he had left. Who knows what would happen after the trial? For all he knew, things could go incredibly wrong, and they could all be sent off and executed.

Kokichi stood up from his chair and walked over to where Shuichi stood facing the closet, lost in thought.

He came up behind him and wrapped his arms around Shuichi's torso and turned his head to rest on his back. Shuichi's train of thought derailed at the feeling of the warm arms embracing him. He turned his head back to glance at Kokichi, who leaned into him with a sigh.

Shuichi looked back and ran his hands over Kokichi's forearms.

"You've been very cuddly today." He mumbled.
"Been a bad day." Kokichi replied, almost too quiet to hear.

Shuichi paused, and slowly turned around while keeping Kokichi's arms in place, so that he could hug him back. He dropped his head to rest on Kokichi's hair.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Kokichi shook his head slightly, "'s okay. Kiibo helped me through it."

There it was again. That twinge. Shuichi felt something in him change, and then felt slightly guilty. He didn't know exactly why.

"Oh. I see." He said.

Shuichi couldn't help but wish that Kokichi had come to him instead. Not that it mattered, of course. Right? Kiibo was a friend of Kokichi's. What's so bad about that?

Kokichi rocked on his heels a little, swaying the two slightly from side to side as he stayed stuck to Shuichi's torso. "Kiibo is actually pretty cool. He's pretty human-like for a robot. He even gives good hugs. I know I bully him and stuff but... I like him."