thirty - seven

╔═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╗
𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲
╚═════ஓ๑♥๑ஓ═════╝
ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ

Kokichi sat huddled under two duvets, swaddled up on his bed. He sipped on some hot cocoa whilst Shuichi sifted through the amounts of evidence stacked away in his dormitory. He watched him as he flicked through reports that Kokichi had made himself, dug through boxes of evidence, checked out the kubs pads that he'd stolen.

Kokichi was a little sniffly.

I mean, being out in the cold and rain for an hour at midnight? He was practically asking to get a cold. He powered through it nonetheless, his warm mug in hand.

The trial was set to begin at ten in the morning, and the clock ticked, showing nine AM. They had a mere hour until it began. Shuichi picked up the next kubs pad and clicked it on.

"Himiko Yumeno's biggest fan was her mommy! She always trusts her little Himiko to be safe when slicing her in half! Buuut... happens when someone other than her precious little girl gets a chainsaw? You'll have to find out!" the noise droned on, and Kokichi filtered it out. Shuichi sighed and tossed it into the junk box. He needed actual evidence, not some motive video on Himiko's mom.

He'd spent the last two hours going through evidence, picking up vital pieces for the puzzle and dropping them into his evidence box.

It was strange, when they woke up that day. Shuichi had gotten up to check outside, but everything was bone dry. It looked as though not even a single drop had touched the concrete beneath his feet. He'd even asked around, each student being asked if they'd heard the rain last night. How could they not? It was practically deafening.

Yet not a single one of them knew of any rain.

Shuichi and Kokichi both knew what they saw and felt. Their clothes hung up in the shower were still soggy by the time the sun rose, and Kokichi had come down with a mild fever because of the cold rain.

It was strange.

Even more evidence going towards the argument that this place, however it may, was not real.

But they'd save that for the trial.

"Are you feeling any better?" Shuichi looked over to Kokichi.
"'M fine." He nodded, taking another sip from his mug. It seemed like the cold medicine was working a treat.
Shuichi sighed and stood up from his crouched position and dusted his palms off on his trousers. "I hope you'll be alright for the trial."
"I'll be fine. My immune system is-" Kokichi's sentence was cut short as something tickled in his nose. "A-ah-" Kokichi shut his eyes and let out a sneeze. "...brilliant." He mumbled, finishing his sentence.
Shuichi scoffed and stepped over the evidence to sit down on the bed next to his lover- no, boyfriend.

He placed his palm on Kokichi's forehead and brushed back the hair to feel his temperature.
"Hm. Not as bad as earlier. You're staying in bed though until we need to go to the trial."
Kokichi sighed and sipped his hot drink. "I wanted to help gather evidence." He mumbled.
"Well, I'm sorry, but that's what going out in the rain does. Curiosity killed the cat."
"Curiosity got me a boyfriend." He chuckled.

Shuichi removed his hand with a bashful sigh. That word was seriously going to be the death of him. He stood back up and looked down at the boxes.

"I think I have enough. God, this is going to be a tough one." Shuichi sighed.
"It's okay. I'll be with you." Kokichi leant forward to grip Shuichi's hand. He looked back at him with a soft, sympathetic smile.
"You will."