Chapter 8

Emilio walked through the halls to the stairwell. He was going to the roof to have lunch. Normally, that's where their siblings met for food. Emilio sat down on the roof and put his stuff down. The wind blew through his hair and he closed his eyes. The wind is free. It goes where it'd like. Emilio always wanted to feel that freedom. He felt closer to it than ever. Even the thought made him shiver of excitement.

He had a small bit of a plan. One he'd never seriously thought to execute. There was a privilege one could obtain. Good grades and parental permission could allow a student to leave campus while not in classes. He could go out and busk. It's only something he's heard about and seen on youtube, but it was his dream. He loved music.

He was shaken from his dream by footsteps. He glanced at the door and there came Carla, but no Lukas, strange.

"Hey Carla" Emilio greeted

"Hi Mili!" she replied happily, sitting next to him

"Where's Lukas?"

Carla shrugged, unpacking her lunch. Emilio glanced at his phone, tempted to call his younger brother, but instead, left it be. He'd show up sooner or later.

~

Lukas was trying to open his locker. After the 28th time putting in the combo (yes, he counted), he hit his head on it, repeatedly. A giggle was heard behind him and he turned around.

"Yes. It's very funny. Thank you" Lukas said

There stood Anna in all her grace. She strode over.

"May I?" she asked

"Go ahead but-"

There opened the locker on her first try. She smiled up at him.

"How?"

"I watched you turn it the wrong way for 10 minutes and regret nothing"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yup"

Lukas smiled and pulled her into a hug, she hugged back.

"It's been a minute"

"Mhm," Anna leaned on him, "Only you would call a week of no communication a minute."

Lukas laughed "Missed you, Anna"

"I missed you too, Luk"

They stood there quietly for a bit. The two were best friends but were almost never able to talk fluidly for more than two weeks. The communication always got cut off somehow. A week's the longest it's ever been.

"Step away from my sister please"

The two panicked and pulled away from each other, snapping their heads to the person who spoke. There stood Damien. Lukas knew he was done for. Of course the one time they're not in a private area as they spoke, this happens.

"You know Emilio Alonto?" Damien asked

"Oh yeah I heard of him, don't know him that-"

"Cut the shit," Damien said "Where is he?"

"Roof. Was gonna go eat with him."

"I'll be joining you then"

Lukas couldn't believe it. Emilio talked to him.

"What? Damien, you're not telling dad right?!" Anna interjected

"Nah. You come too. I don't tell on you and vice versa"

"Deal"

Lukas watched this transaction and was thoroughly confused. But he complied. He grabbed his lunchbox and closed the locker. He led them up to the roof.

"Hey Luk-" Emilio stopped halfway through the sentence

"Hi"

"Lukie!" Carla exclaimed, going and hugging him, holding him tightly

"Hi, Carla"

"Lukie, I'm calling you that now," Anna said

"That's reserved for Carla and Carla only"

"Too bad"

Lukas rolled his eyes and Anna giggled. Damien sat next to Emilio.

"Hey, Alonto"

"Prince"

"Hey, no formalities" Damien leaned back, putting his head on Emilio's lap "please?"

Emilio squeaked, a layer of pink coating his cheeks "Okay."

"Ah okay. That's the vice versa" Anna whispered to Lukas

Lukas nodded in response but kept his eyes on his brother. He'd never seen him like this before. Hiding excitement while his eyes radiate happiness. Emilio felt good with people other than him and Carla. That was a step. A big step.

Lukas sat down next to Emilio as Carla rambled about something that happened in class to Anna.

"You doing okay, 'Mili?" Lukas whispered to him

Emilio gave a thumbs up and one of the most genuine smiles he's had in a while. The smile was infectious and spread to Lukas in no time. The same spread to Damien and he sat up, scooching over to him. Damien whispered into Emilio's ear, probably a flirt by reaction, it was similar to his initial one.

Anna shook Lukas, bringing him back into reality.

"You good?" she asked

"Just... worried," he replied in a whisper "he's never been in love, he doesn't know any red flags, he doesn't-"

"Damien's not like that. I promise. He wouldn't cheat on anyone." Anna reassured

"It's not just that. It's something you don't understand. Not even I do" Lukas replied

"I may not understand that. But something I do understand is that Damien would do anything for someone he loves. I know it" Anna said

"You sure?"

"Positive"

Lukas watched the two giggle and flirt once more, mentally debating this.

"Thanks, Anna"

"Anytime"

"Hey! I was in the middle of my story!" Carla pouted

"Sorry Carly," Lukas said, ruffling her hair lightly "how about you retell the story-?"

"For all of us" Emilio interrupted

Carla smiled brightly. She stood to tell the story to the four of them dramatically. They listened intently. At one point, Lukas glanced at Emilio and Damien again. Damien's arm was around Emilio's waist and Emilio was leaning on Damien. Lukas knew he'd have to keep an eye on the two. He didn't want Emilio hurt. He's been through enough.

If Damien broke his heart, Lukas would just have to break Damien back.

Lukas blinked a bit. That thought scared him, but he ignored it, going back to listening to Carla.

It was a mistake he'd hate himself for forever.