Chapter 13

Whoosh. That time of day again.

Damien was holding Emilio close to him. They were in Emilio's apartment. Emilio had music playing on his phone and they shared some earbuds, a calm silence between them.

2 months and 17 days. Damien kept track. He found himself wanting his boyfriend more and more, day by day. He wanted to impress him, but when put up against Emilio, he felt painfully average. Emilio was top of the class, amazing at sparring, a fast runner. He could do anything he wanted, and he needed to do everything he could. It was a standard Damien knew he wouldn't reach, but he accepted it quickly.

It just made it that more amazing that Emilio agreed to be with him.

Another thing was Emilio's voice. Sometimes, when he thought no one was listening, he'd sing to himself. Damien heard him once, waiting outside his apartment for him. He'd heard him singing softly, a beautiful sound. Emilio had never mentioned being able to sing, but he could.

Damien was suddenly overcome with an intense urge to kiss him. To tell him how great he was.

It all came out in three words.

"I love you."

Emilio stopped at that. Damien gave him a look. He looked... confused.

Scared, in some twisted untrusting way.

"What?" He asked, turning around

"I love you" Damien replied

Damien didn't stutter. He stared into Emilio's eyes as he said it. Emilio sat up.

"Yeah. Okay."

Emilio pulled out an earbud, standing, going to the kitchen. Damien got up, following.

"What do you mean 'okay'? I just told you I loved you!" Damien said

"I get it now. A big elaborate plot. Someone put you up to all this. It doesn't make sense any other way." Emilio replied

"What?" Damien asked, but Emilio continued

"Who was it? Who did I leave behind who's decided to make my life miserable? Was it Liam? I know he hates me." He rambled

"Emilio, what the fuck are you saying?!" Damien asked

"I'm trying to figure out who put you up to this!" He shouted

"No one did! Why are you doing this?!" Damien yelled back

"It doesn't make sense!"

"Why not?!"

"Because why the fuck would you love me!"

They both stopped at that. Tears were at the edges of Emilio's eyes. Damien was confused. Staring at the boy in front of him. Emilio took a sharp breath, sighing.

"Why? If you're serious, or if someone really did put you up to it. Why?"

"Emilio. You don't really think someone put me up to it do you?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

Damien was angry. Of course he was, he told a guy he loved him and now he was saying that Damien was put up to him. He couldn't believe this.

"Yeah, because of course, this isn't about my feelings. I'm just a pawn to someone"

Emilio went quiet. Damien continued.

"Why can't you trust me for once?! It's been almost 3 months! I know it's been fast, I understand that, but I've put all my trust in you! So I expected you to do the same! I say one thing that's actually positive and you're calling me a fake!"

"It's not my fault I have these issues!" Emilio shot back

"Not mine either!" Damien said "I've given you no reason not to trust me! I'm trying so hard for us! It feels like you're not giving us the same effort I am!" Damien shouted

"I'm trying! I know I don't give as much to the relationship in the sense of making a move but I'm really trying to trust you I promise!" Emilio yelled back "I'm sorry your spoiled prince ass can't see that!"

"Fine! I'm gone then!"

"Fine!"

Damien stormed out, slamming the door. He went up to his dorm, laying on his bed. He hugged a pillow to his chest tightly. He was angry. So, so, angry. Over what? 8 letters? (*COUGHS IN WHY DON'T WE* - The Ghost) He put his pillow down.

Anger was the cover up. He felt disappointed.

Not even disappointed that Emilio didn't trust him. Disappointed that he didn't feel the same.

The worst part is that he didn't even blame Emilio. He said all that shit to him. He didn't mean it. He understood Emilio needed time to trust him. Damien had just blown up. He regretted it so much.

~

Emilio winced when the door slammed. He stared at it for a minute, tears rolling down his cheeks. He fucked it up. Of course he had. Emilio collapsed, barely catching himself with the couch cushion. He laid there on the floor, letting himself sob.

Why couldn't he just trust someone for once? Why did he have to always have his guard up? Damien loved him. He overreacted. Of course he did. He always fucks everything up. Always. It didn't matter with who, it didn't matter when, he always messed up. He always-

The thought was cut off by knocking. Emilio went very still, staring at the door. Another knock, accompanied by a voice.

"Hey, 'Mili! Mom just called me to say she and dad are coming tonight! She said you hadn't answered, is everything okay?"

It was Lukas. Nothing was okay. He choked back a sob, but just found himself crying again.

"'Mili?! Emilio Jacob Schulz I will go in there! Are you okay?!"

He couldn't stop crying. Even upon hearing his middle name. His mother had picked it since it was a popular name in America. She was from there. Normally, when Lukas used it, it made him laugh, but he couldn't stop sobbing.

In came Lukas, at his side in no time. Pulling him up. Hugging him.

"What happened 'Mili?" Lukas asked, softening his voice

"I fucked it up. Just like I always fucking do" Emilio replied

The reply was between hiccups and sniffling, but he was trying to stop crying. Or at least stop sobbing.

"C'mon, tell me about it. I'll grab some chocolate and an aspirin" Lukas said, helping Emilio onto the couch like a good brother.