Chapter 43

Uh

Go into this next chapter with the mindset that Emilio is literally Sophia the First

You're welcome :)

The week went by in a flash. Vicky ended up telling the truth and didn't out Damien (due to a threat). Lukas was still ignoring both the prince and his brother. Carla was starting to feel better. Ia was only starting to come around to Damien again, after a long line of threatening. Damien and Emilio were talking a lot more too. Emilio tried to be there for Damien more and more as the weekend approached. It would be his father's funeral on Sunday.

It was currently Saturday. Damien had already left. Emilio was laying on his couch scrolling through his phone quietly. He was letting his hair air dry after a shower. He had an urge to try to reach out to Lukas. Ask him if he's okay. He hadn't come to dinner the night before. Lukas got angry when he heard their mother was gone but Emilio didn't expect him to be that angry. He just wanted to make sure his little brother was okay.

Emilio sighed, putting his phone to the side. He should do something productive. Anything productive. He got up, but a notification came, and he grabbed his phone again. It was an email from Mrs. Martin.

'Hello Emilio,

Please come to the office as soon as you receive this. Something important needs to be discussed. It pertains to your status and claim to nobility. This could seal whether you stay with us or not.

See you soon,

Mrs. Martin'

What. The. Fuck.

Emilio went to get ready quickly, changing out of his clothes and putting on his school uniform. It was what felt right in the moment. He grabbed his phone and keys after, running a hand through his hair, which he quickly towel dried, to untangle anything in it. It was still damp, but would be dry soon.

Emilio walked quickly to the office. The secretary glanced up to him.

"Are you Emilio Schulz? For Mrs. Martin?" she asked

"Yes." Emilio said

"Go right in" she told him, a sincere frown on her face

Emilio did just that. He went into the councilor's office. She glanced up to him.

"Hello, Emilio. Sit." Mrs. Martin said

Emilio approached the desk, not sitting.

"What's this about? There was something about my admission here? Claim to nobility?" Emilio asked quickly

"Slow down. Sit. We need to talk about this." she told him

Emilio sat slowly. Mrs. Martin started slowly. Cautiously. As if Emilio was a wild animal who would snap at a sudden movement or word.

"So. I heard what happened. Henry called the school. You've lost your claim to nobility." she said

"Don't I still have it through Henry? He's my step father. I know there's no blood connection, but isn't that something?" Emilio asked

"You would but-" Mrs. Martin paused, "Henry disowned you."

Emilio sat silent for a moment. Trying to process this.

"So I have to... I have to leave? After everything I worked for here? I- why?!" Emilio asked

"I'm so sorry. I spoke to the headmaster and I tried my best. I promise you. You have two weeks left. Unless you become engaged to someone of nobility in these two weeks but..." she trailed off