Chapter 44

Woo

Socialism

You get no context

Emilio was studying on Sunday. It was relatively late, around 11, but he didn't plan on stopping anytime soon. That was, until Damien called.

"Hey, Emi" Damien said

He sounded tired and clogged up. Emilio was immediately worried.

"Hey, Damien. You okay?" Emilio asked

"Yeah. It's just been a day. I needed to talk to you." Damien said

"Well, I'm right here" Emilio replied

"Yeah. Thankfully." Damien said, "How's your weekend been?"

Emilio paused. He couldn't tell Damien what happened. He's already dealing with his dad and everything and now this? It wouldn't be good.

"It's been quiet. Studying a lot." Emilio said

Damien chuckled dryly, "I'm not surprised."

"Sorry I like good grades?" Emilio said

"Isn't it late over there? Damien asked

"How far are you behind, time wise?" Emilio asked

"Two hours, and it's 9:53 here. Go to sleep." Damien told him

"I'm fine." Emilio said, "You're the one who needs rest"

Emilio could hear the look Damien was giving him. He smiled softly.

"Okay." Emilio said softly, "Only if you do too"

"I'm supposed to be asleep. I'm already in bed and everything. Do you want to facetime?" Damien asked

"Give me like 2 minutes to put away my textbooks and get in bed. Then sure" Emilio said

Damien agreed and Emilio put his phone down, leaving Damien on the line as he quickly marked his page and stacked the textbooks and notebooks he had opened, leaving his pen and highlighter on the side. He grabbed his phone and turned off the light before going into his room. He laid in bed, facetiming Damien. He accepted.

"You look so..." Damien started, he didn't finish

"So?" Emilio asked

"Adorable, amazing, cute, I could go on" Damien said

"You talk about yourself very nicely" Emilio said

"You know I'm talking about you." Damien said

"Yeah. But you look better" Emilio said

"I love you." Damien said

"Love you too" Emilio replied

They smiled at one another. Slowly, they fell asleep, speaking quietly to each other. Damien fell asleep first. Emilio assumed he had the phone against something because it stayed up when he fell asleep. Emilio stared for a moment. The realization hit him. In two weeks, this would be gone. These talks. Laying together. Damien's smile at a joke Emilio made. He wouldn't see it again. He could've started sobbing. Right then and there. He held himself back.

"Goodnight, Damien." Emilio said before drifting off to sleep

~

Damien wasn't in school on Monday. He wasn't coming back until that night which left Emilio alone for the day. Ia, thankfully, took it upon herself to sit next to, or get someone from their group to sit next to him. It was honestly funny to him how hard she tried. She looked right at Jack, who was going to sit next to a girl and pointed to the chair next to Emilio. He listened.