Xiao's Birthday Wish

A/N: (2023) - Yes this does take some inspiration from that one comic dub/comic. <3

A/N: Happy bday Xiao(2022/04/17)

................................................

"Wait it's Xiao's birthday today!?"

Lumine was gawking as she and Paimon sat at the table at Third Round Knockout. It was apparently customary to visit family during the three days after the wedding. But as Lumine's brother was well...currently MIA they had to adjust this custom for her circumstances. So instead Lumine had been visiting Zhongli today for lunch. Another odd tradition it seemed was every time the sacred Bonding Festival happened it always followed seven days of relaxation for many.

"I take it he never told you then? That's so like him."stated Zhongli in amusement.

"But Paimon doesn't get it why would didn't he tell us?"Paimon asked reaching out for a steamed meat bun.

"Many reasons, but if I have to guess he's had no reason to celebrate it. Xiao's over 2000 years old. most adepti tend to stop caring about birthdays after their first century."Zhongli said thoughtfully zipping his tea.

"Well that won't do."Lumine huffed as she slammed her hands on the table startling Paimon. Swiftly Lumine grabbed Paimon by the scarf. "Come on, Paimon we got a birthday party to plan."

"Ok, uh bye Mr.Zhongli!"Paimon squeaked.

Zhongli could only laugh at the girls' energy, checking the time. "I suppose I should figure out something for the young yaksha as well."

Xiao was confused

Xiao was confused.

He couldn't figure out why but all afternoon Lumine and that annoying fairy along with some others had been acting...odd. He couldn't understand what had got into everyone especially his wife and partner. So strange to him and it left him moody and frustrated so he had not been expecting to run into little Qiqi in the field not far from Wanshu Inn on his way back.

"Qiqi what are doing out here?"Xiao asked as he approached.

The little pale haired zombie looked up with her usual stoic and sleepy look. To his surprise in her hands was a crown woven from silkflowers. "Qiqi made you this..."she stated flatly.

"For me? Uh...a-alright."Xiao stated unsure how to react. Zombie or not Qiqi was still a child but...how had she remembered this? Her memory span was not exactly the best. Qiqi eagerly placed the flower crown on his head, not long after spotting Lumine and Paimon rushing for the inn with two baskets of various stuff in hand.

"Lumine?"he called.

"Hm?"Lumine before long froze at spotting Xiao causing the fairy to crash right into her.

"Ah man look what you made Paimon do! Now everything for the cake is---!?"Paimon began to protest but was swiftly grabbed and silenced by Lumine.

"Ssshhh!!"she hushed.

"Xiao and even little Qiqi, hello."greeted Lumine.

"Pray tell why you've been avoiding me all afternoon and why are you in such a rush?"Xiao asked. He looked so confused while Qiqi gave a small smile.

"Hello...Traveler..."greeted Qiqi. "Qiqi remembered...."

"That's good Qiqi, I'm glad you did. But I'm sure Baizhu's waiting for you."said Lumine before sending Qiqi on her way.

"Lumine did you hear my question, why have you and everyone been avoiding me?"Xiao asked.

"I-I'm not avoiding you what are yo talking about? I've just been busy helping Goldet today."chuckled Lumine nervously.

"Lumine did you forget I can sense your emotions. Your anxious, and clearly hiding something."he stated crossing his arms. His gaze turned to the basket that had fallen when Paimon had crashed. The fallen contents were all ingredients that were achingly familiar. It was ingredients for one of his favorites sweets as a rather young yaksha which consisted of nuts, honey, then ingredients for pastry. "Baklava? Why would she be making that?"he thought curiously. "And why would you have all this?"he pressed on.

"Oh uh yeah that...hehehehe.....Goldet asked for all this so I'm delivering them to her. But now we gotta get more eggs and flour."chuckled Lumine nervously.

"Not Paimon's fault you stopped so suddenly and made Paimon drop the stuff for Xiao's birthday—"Paimon began before getting smacked over the head by Lumine. Xiao's eyes growing wide at what he heard the loud mouth say.

"PAIMON!!"she snarled.

"Oops...um, Paimon wonder if the food at the inn is ready, hehehehe....bye!"Paimon chuckled before making a break for it.

"Paimon!!! I swear to Celestia I'm going to make you into the cake later!"hissed Lumine. "And that's Venti's line!"

Xiao could only stare baffled at what he had just found out, "You were preparing for my birthday? That was completely unnecessary Lumine."

"Xiao, what do you mean by 'Unnecessary'? Your birthday is a big deal and important to everyone! Even if it's not important to you it is to me and I only just found out about it today because Zhongli told me. So please...d-don't say such sad things. I told you before to love yourself more Xiao..."Lumine stated sadly. "Your my partner and best friend and now my husband, I just want you to be happy and celebrate your special day with you..." Lumine hung her head sadly clutching the basket in her hands. Xiao had opened up so much to her so why keep his birthday from her? That the date they had picked to wed had been the day before his own birthday. Xiao did so, so much for Liyue and now even Inazuma and never asked anything in return. Until recently he never allowed anybody close to him, only she had succeeded in this regard.

That had done it.

Xiao hated seeing and feeling her sadness on many levels. With a sigh Xiao's regret at his words showed as he walked over and to her surprise took the basket from her. "I'm sorry...I did promise you that I'd try to love myself more. I misspoke, that wasn't what I meant and it wasn't my intention to sound like I was belittling your efforts."

"Then what did you meant?"asked Lumine letting him take the basket.

"I'm saying it's unnecessary because even with all this, my wish was already granted."Lumine to her surprise Xiao had taken off the flower crown to place on her head instead . Tenderly taking her hand to rest it on his cheek with a pleased smile just for her alone. "Just you by my side, Lumi is enough...more then enough."he whispered his expression loving and tender. Lumine could only stare in surprise before returning the smile.

"Hey Xiao?"

"Yes, what is it?"

Lumine once more offered her star shattering smile up at him as they started to head towards Wanshu Inn hand in hand. "Thank you for calling my name this time and...thank you for being born and being my husband."she hummed in delight.

"If it's you, I'll happily keep returning. But um...you know n-nevermind."Xiao stated growing flustered looking away with a blush.

"Xiao?"Lumine began to giggle. She could see his gaze glance back and forth to the basket in hand full of baking supplies. "Oh I know that look. Alright I'll make you something, any requests?"

"Baklava and almond tofu."he mumbled.

"Alright coming right up once we're back."Lumine agreed in delight. The amount of delight and excitement in his eyes there even seemed to be some nostalgia when he had brought up that Sumerian dessert, just like Cloud Retainer and Shenhe had promised. But what didn't escape her gaze was how his eyes had flickered between jade green and gold again. Why was this happening and more frequently to boot? Oh well she would worry later. Today was Xiao's birthday and their first day as newly weds so Lumine wanted to enjoy it. Xiao however could feel it, sense it the seal any day now would shatter on the courtship rebound and it got far, far worse.