Ch.4: First Victory

Positive thinking is a rather strange concept. It's something that people tend to push aside as mere symbol of innocence or perseverance without putting much thought into it. However and surprisingly, if one truly has faith in that optimism offered to them, they can sometime find themselves doing things that they didn't think they could achieve by putting more efforts into what they're doing, all for the sake of deserving that positive comment given.

It is a small act of kindness that people will often ignore for the sake of looking at a more realistic outcome, no matter how gloomy and destructive it is. In reality, small gestures can change many things or push people to do a good decision, its effects varying.

Sadly, in a harsh and unforgiving reality, miracles are nothing but a shadow passing in the corner of one's eyes, briefly seen yet never fully observable. None can reach it, none can truly take hold of it and brandish it with pride. It is a fleeting idea, a sad delusion that desperate people give to themselves to pretend that they can turn the tide to their favor, even when knowing that their end will soon arrive.

Postive thinking truly is a curse in this world.

...

...

Roland: Phew, come on, don't lose your focus.

The man standing alone against the guests readied his blade and turned his gaze to confront them with a carefree smile. On the other hand, the trio otherwise known as the 'Rats' were tightening their weapons, frowns forming on their faces.

It was understandable. After all, if they emerged from this battle with a defeat, it was the end for them, no matter what occurs afterwards. They couldn't afford to lose and it was showing in their attitudes. The sole librarian of Keter's floor shrugged off their glares and gathered his thoughts.

The Fixer was completely unfazed by their poor choices of weaponry as he confirmed his grip around the hilt of the sword given to him. He calmly closed his eyes and listened until footsteps echoed, followed by a finger snap indicating him to advance. Finally, he charged onwards with a light smile on his face.

The unlucky opponent facing the lone guardian protecting this place was the one holding onto her dirty bag, Lenny, her unkept, short and messy hair trying to go along with her movements. One of her hands was holding onto a surgeon knife and her eyes were unfazed by the clear disadvantage they had.

With no hesitation, she raised her weapon to go on the offensive but witnessed in her perimeter of vision a sudden motion that caught her by surprise. The one dressed in a pristine suit aimed at her body and went for a perfect stab. The blade entered her body with ease, causing her to stagger.

Roland: This is going much better than I expected, the training must have paid off~

Lenny: ...

She ignored his comment and clutched her wounded area, her eyes watching the ones who stepped in this place alongside her approach her attacker, one raising a rusty blade and the other a simple and boring hammer. Unfortunately for them, considering what they were wielding, many would be left unimpressed by their attempt at looking intimidating, which is exactly what occured with their target.

Roland calmly let out a faint whistle out of his mouth and parried Pete's blade, sending him backward with close to no effort.

Mang-chi: D-Damn it, I knew this was too good to be true.

Left completely open during his parry, the patron librarian of this floor watched the hooded man swing his hammer and blocked the strike with one of his arms, mitigating the hit to some extend.