Ch.23: Mental Blow

Cereb: Wow, you must have been pretty good at your job!

Roland: Hm, I wouldn't say I was good but I did my best, I wasn't much of a fighter.

A new day began and with it, new activities soon followed within the illusion that outsiders call the Library. His hands still in his pockets, the uninvited guest aiding this prison walked alongside Malkuth & Yesod's assistant.

The trio met during their moment of rest and decided to stick together and converse with each other.

Dana: Still, from what we've seen so far, your knowledge is far better compared to the guests we received.

The red-haired girl tilted her head to the side as she stretched her arms. Since she wasn't on duty, she took the opportunity to get rid of the outfit she was using to fight. Cereb, unlike her, kept Yun's appearance, seemingly pleased with it.

Roland: I did have my connections but it's nothing too impressive.

Not letting any pride slip out, the man in a suit calmly replied. As he did so, the trio turned a corner without paying much attention. At this point, the walls used to contain their bodies of Light were nothing more than mere arrows pointing towards each point of interest. With enough time, each librarian soon learned where everything was located.

Although Dana was content with simply nodding along with the words of the Patron librarian, Cereb was not, his curiosity getting the better of him. His eyes glanced to his left as he commented.

Cereb: I still think it's pretty impressive to be a Fixer.

Roland: How so?

Cereb: Hm... Like fighting with people you work with, side by side, trusting each other's back.

The duo listening to his explanation noticed in the corner of their sight a movement coming from the speaker. His gaze shifted away from them and his eyes became empty as he continued.

Cereb: ...How nice it must be to have your back protected by someone you trust.

Dana: ...You good Cereb?

Cereb: Yep!

Immediately, as if it was nothing more than a mirage they both saw, the cheerful expression of the excited and optimistic employee returned. His mood switch was enough to make them not question what they heard for... different reasons.

It happened so quickly that the duo had a hard time believing that it really occured... or maybe it never did and they simply went nuts. They couldn't tell and they didn't have the energy to dig into it.

A bead of sweat formed on Dana & Roland's face as they shared a face of disbelief.

Unfortunately... or maybe fortunately, before anyone could raise their voice to change the topic. Malkuth's helper turned his head to the left, his ears picking up a certain noise.

Cereb: Do you guys hear that?

Dana: ...?

Roland: It's faint... but I can hear some noises.

Unlike the captain of the Information team, the leader of Keter's floor was also able to detect the weak disturbance in the distance, one could call it a "Fixer's skill". More interrogation marks levitated above their heads with each footstep they took.

At first, those would could hear it were unable to determine what would be the cause of said noises but as they got closer, the intensity grew.

...