Ch.37: New Invitation Path

Y/N: ...I know it's not really up to me to decide who should receive the guests but I'd like you to think about it at least.

From outside the room, where a few of the assistant librarians gathered out of curiosity, the voice of the ex-captain of the Central Command team could be heard. Just as he promised, he tried to bring up the subject they previously talked about to the director of the Library.

A long silence followed his proposition, one that didn't put them at ease.

Rin: ...What should we do? Should we go in?

Cereb: And get turned like Roland? No thanks, I like my limbs.

Dana: Shut up, both of you.

The brief whispers of the employees were quickly cut short by Dana, who stopped them before they could make an audible ruckus. The last thing they needed was to get caught by the AI inside the room.

While this was happening, the previously mentioned machine stared back at her assistant. From his point of view, he couldn't tell if she was thinking on it or simply glaring at him. With the time he spent observing her, both choices seemed like a possible option.

Sitting to the side, the Grade 9 Fixer was happy to remain completely silent.

Angela: I will consider it.

Finally, her cold voice put an end to the invisible pressure being pushed onto the assistant's shoulders. He nodded in return and turned towards the exit, only to be stopped by his interlocutor.

Angela: However, that doesn't mean they get to slack off, understood?

The last part of her sentence was thrown towards the doorway leading into the corridor, sending shivers in the assistant librarians present. Now aware that their position was discovered, they quickly dispersed.

A bead of sweat formed on Angela's helper's forehead as he heard them scurry away.

Roland: I certainly won't complain, thank you for your kidness ma'am~

Then, right at the end, the Patron Librarian of the Floor of General Work spoke up with a smile on his face. It looked like it was the best news he had heard in a while.

Without saying anything else, he stretched his arms out of relief making his way out, hoping to use his newly found rest immediately. Sadly, that hope of his was quickly destroyed by a sight that made everyone present in the room freeze in place.

It was the invitation, declaring that guests would soon make their appearance. As per usual, they soon were met with the method they used to take a peek at their upcoming... victims.

The once relaxed Fixer let out a quiet sigh and let his arms hang loose in defeat. He knew what was coming and took a seat. Standing next to him, the assistant librarian looked in the same direction he stared at.

In the back of his head, as he did so, the ex-agent also let out a sigh. Even though he wasn't allowed to take part in the receptions, he certainly wouldn't mind a brief respite from what they were doing.

...

...

The first thing that caught their attention was the muffled cacophony of multiple pairs of footsteps walking around a seemingly impenetrable darkness. It revealed not a singular detail to them about what they were witnessing.

That disturbance, however, did not last long... or at least it was nothing compared to what followed afterwards.

Slam.