Ch.30: Stray Dogs

Dana: ...

A long silence was shared by the many people gathered together in the same room. A few sent worried glances as they watched the scene unfolding before them. This occured during the reception of the Stray Dogs, leaving only those who did not participate in the battle to observe... this.

Standing by a table, the director of the Library was holding the head of her assistant, her cold eyes scanning his face with a calculated gaze. In her grasp, the worker did not budge from his spot, not like he had the willpower to do so.

Below him, at his feet, a red pool was forming due to the constant crimson rain coming from his opened head. One of his hands was trying its best to cover the injury caused a moment ago. Angela disregarded the wound staining her hands and clothes and remained focused on making sure she wasn't missing anything.

Around her, a silent fury could be felt by the assistant librarians.

The AI, while attending to her personal helper, kept a part of her attention on the battle currently ongoing, counting each moment slowly passing by in her mind with impatience.

Yuri: ...I-Is mister Y/N going to be alright? His head is b-bleeding profusely.

Hava: Even if he wasn't, there's not much we can do to stop an injury this deep.

As she answered Yuri's worries, the sound of footsteps could be heard, catching the workers' attention. Zophia, who stood next to them, grabbed Hava by the white blouse she wore due to Olga's page and pulled out her black tie.

Before anyone else could do anything, she walked away with her loot and began tying it around the wound to the best of her capabilities, whispering something in his ears as she did so.

Her words would forever remain a mystery to those not involved in the conversation, not like much was missed. The bleeding librarian nodded back and formed a feeble smile.

This scene was the result of a mere exchange made out of politeness minutes ago, one that no librarians could have expected, not even the victim.

...

...

Y/N: ...Sweepers, huh?

Once the duo reached the entrance the guests would arrive at, one of them sent a look at the other. Both of them knew what that particular word meant and after Roland's explanation, there was no doubt. They were one of the many creatures the employees of L Corp had to defeat during the 50 day cycle.

...And apparently, their upcoming guests were trying to get them involved in some sort of plan, or at least that was what it felt like to the ex-captain.

Angela: It seems like the large number of them far exceed the capabilities of Fixers.

Y/N: Good thing for you that they only came in small numbers then, otherwise you would still be sitting in that chair of yours in that facility.

Angela: And you would still be suffering alongside me.

Y/N: Unlike you, I don't tend to remember.

There was no spite, nor anger exchanged between them. At this point, blinding anger had long since boiled down, replaced by cold & snide remarks. The hatred and annoyance remained but in a much more hidden form, one that would not lead to mutual destruction yet.

With their commentary out of the way, a flash of light snapped back to the main goal of their walk. Standing in front of them, a group of tough looking thugs were sending a shared glare that barely hid their bloodlust.